News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

General Construction Updates

More Seton commercial stuff.

IMG_4229.jpeg
IMG_4230.jpeg
IMG_4231.jpeg
IMG_4232.jpeg

This might be too general a construction update for this forum seeing as how it's in a different province, but the Museum of Anthropology at UBC has demolished and completely rebuilt the landmark Great Hall for seismic reasons, and the 85-year old architect (Nick Milkovich) who oversaw the work began his career as a student of Erickson working on the original hall. Good article/interview here. More info on the rebuild here. Very cool project; it reopens this weekend.

Can't remember the name of the project but drove past that new apartment building at the corner of Edmonton Trail and Memorial Drive this morning and they were starting to install that exterior mesh or whatever it can be described as. Not sure if I like it or not.but could look cool once it's all installed.

Also the old Starbucks across the street from there is apparently being turned in to a Drive-Thru only McDonald's. I heard the community is trying to at least ensure there's a walk-up window given its proximity to the river paths and cycle track

I never go to Airdrie but the sense I get its just a huge suburb and has no central area or town centre? I hope the Library spurs some sorta redevelopment that helps themcreate a more vibrant town with their own entertainment and streets. Not that Okotoks or Cochrane are some urban paradises lol but they seem to have at least a historic town street even if it isnt much.

I don't really get the appeal of Airdrie tbh even from the point of view of living in a smaller city town. Maybe I missed some new, but are there plans to develop some places that arent just 1990s suburbs and strip commercial plazas? I wish these town start investing into their own town to make them more interesting, urban and give them their own identity. Like something like Naperville or Boulder that do feel different to their major city they neighbor.

Can't remember the name of the project but drove past that new apartment building at the corner of Edmonton Trail and Memorial Drive this morning and they were starting to install that exterior mesh or whatever it can be described as. Not sure if I like it or not.but could look cool once it's all installed.
That would be Flyover Block. Add your update there!

Looks like a 6 storey building with 202 units is going into that site (55 SHAWNEE BV SW). I'll do some more digging and get it into the database.

Edit:
It looks like there are two buildings u/c. The one already above ground is at 50 SHAWNEE ST SW and is a 6 storey building with 314 units, designed for assisted living, architect is Arup Datta. The second one is at 55 SHAWNEE ST SW and is 6 storeys 202 units, developer Alpha Built and Architect NORR.

Here a better rendering of it.
FishCreekAlpha.jpg

Last edited:

Back