News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

How great would it be to have some wood beams worked into the Event Centre design!
A much smaller arena in Davos, but love the wood beams.

87879372_1910997775710980_3778267148149850112_n.jpg

Cruised by SAIT on the train and saw that demolition was well underway on the building closest to the station. The biggest loss will be the patio for the campus bar that was there.... incredible downtown views, sun all day and pricing geared towards students. Does anyone know if there is anything planned to replace the demoed building and, if so, whether or not there are renderings available?

20230510_193127.jpg

Cruised by SAIT on the train and saw that demolition was well underway on the building closest to the station. The biggest loss will be the patio for the campus bar that was there.... incredible downtown views, sun all day and pricing geared towards students. Does anyone know if there is anything planned to replace the demoed building and, if so, whether or not there are renderings available?

View attachment 476144
New campus centre to replace the now being demo’d campus centre. That building also had the arena, swimming pool, former rifle range, gymnasium and fitness centre. Likely new build will also have all these features other than the rifle range. Pretty frowned upon nowadays to bring your gun to school.

New campus centre to replace the now being demo’d campus centre. That building also had the arena, swimming pool, former rifle range, gymnasium and fitness centre. Likely new build will also have all these features other than the rifle range. Pretty frowned upon nowadays to bring your gun to school.

Do you know if this project requires government funding? Sounds like a much needed piece of campus infrastructure. If it is still on need of dollars, I'm a bit surprised it's not an election issue.

Do you know if this project requires government funding? Sounds like a much needed piece of campus infrastructure. If it is still on need of dollars, I'm a bit surprised it's not an election issue.
I do not know all the details of that. Have heard Sait has received a bunch of funding but not sure projects have been approved yet or not.

Was the existing buildling in such bad shape it needed to be demolished? I used to attend martial arts classes there 3 times a week only a few years ago, and it didn't seem that bad. Granted, I wasn't seeing what was inside the walls..... Seems odd to demolish a building, including the train station connection, when the replacement isn't lined up ready to go.

Was the existing buildling in such bad shape it needed to be demolished? I used to attend martial arts classes there 3 times a week only a few years ago, and it didn't seem that bad. Granted, I wasn't seeing what was inside the walls..... Seems odd to demolish a building, including the train station connection, when the replacement isn't lined up ready to go.
Yeah this is kind of unusual - IMO post-secondaries are typically pretty outward about their development plans, ribbon cuttings and shiny new buildings. I can't recall a similar situation where there's this gap between tear-down and announcing the replacement project. Perhaps they are farther along behind the scenes and just haven't published anything.

Back