News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Crazy dream ideas for Calgary

Thanks for the explanation, I forgot that when properties increase in value and are taxed more, others go down in the process. So technically improving that area does help overall, but isn't a windfall of new tax money.

If it's going to happen anywhere, it should happen here due to the excavation requirements. I love the idea. Hopefully CMLC gives it serious consideration.

Last edited:
If it's going to happen anywhere, it should happen here due to the excavation requirements. I love the idea. Hopefully CMLC gives it serious consideration.
Exactly. Normally a canal type of deal like that wouldn't be feasible, but if the ground needs to be excavated anyways, this might be a catalyst towards getting rid of that contaminated land, and building a cool area that could be a catalyst towards building West Village. It could even have the potential to be a tourist spot.

And who knows maybe the plan could get expanded.

Image4b.jpg

Attachments

• Image4b.jpg
    Image4b.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Admittedly I have a fetish for canals in cities. When I used to do digital art cityscapes, I often put canals into the cities.
metropolis_II.jpg canal_city.jpg island_cities_II.jpg

Attachments

• metropolis_II.jpg
    metropolis_II.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 247
  • canal_city.jpg
    canal_city.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 265
  • island_cities_II.jpg
    island_cities_II.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 258
If CMLC could ever pull something like this off residential units in that neighbourhood would sell like a wildfire . It would also stand out as one of the best urban renewal projects in North America

I would definitely consider this a pipe dream, but I was reading this article awhile back about how the city has in storage a number of architectural elements--facades, masonry work ext.-- from demolished buildings. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/city-buildings-heritage-local-history-1.4233173
The article mentions the possibility of incorporating the facades into new buildings or to even remodel the buildings that replaced the demolished structures to incorporate the old facade. In either event, I would love to see these relics brought back to life in some capacity.

I don't think that's a pipe dream all, it's a great idea. I'd love to see some of those old piece is incorporated into the new buildings. Maybe this city could offer incorporation of the pieces as part of density bonusing ?
I would definitely consider this a pipe dream, but I was reading this article awhile back about how the city has in storage a number of architectural elements--facades, masonry work ext.-- from demolished buildings. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/city-buildings-heritage-local-history-1.4233173
The article mentions the possibility of incorporating the facades into new buildings or to even remodel the buildings that replaced the demolished structures to incorporate the old facade. In either event, I would love to see these relics brought back to life in some capacity.

I concur, this would be amazing. If/when 17th gets extended onto the Stampede ground adding some legitimate turn of the (last) century facades to the street-scape would be perfect.

This might be far fetched but I think it could work: what about getting volunteers to do the majority of the Labour for something like this? I mean, I don't know how much it would reduce costs, but it would be a cool experiment in social constructivism. I think a lot of people in our generation who sit behind a screen all day would like to get involved.

It would be nice to see a whole streetscape made from a collection of former facades. Maybe it could be done in along Olympic Way, or be part of West Village. Maybe this could be done for the 10th ave LRT Station of the Green Line?

This might be far fetched but I think it could work: what about getting volunteers to do the majority of the Labour for something like this? I mean, I don't know how much it would reduce costs, but it would be a cool experiment in social constructivism. I think a lot of people in our generation who sit behind a screen all day would like to get involved.
I think people would volunteer. If not maybe it's something companies could do as a sponsorship?

I always thought it would be cool if a university deliberately built architecture of different eras and cultures (at least on facades) to teach students about design and history.

I always thought it would be cool if a university deliberately built architecture of different eras and cultures (at least on facades) to teach students about design and history.
Yale does that a bit. But still love the Armour Institute (Illinois Institute of Technology) which is full of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, earlyish SOM, Rem Koolhaas and Helmut Jahn, all on a campus that is a disc golf course.

Dealing with anything remotely toxic this is definitely a no-go.
Sorry, I meant the restore facades project ;). That said, maybe the creosote cleanup/canal village project could be a corporate sponsorship thing, for at least part of the cleanup. Developers who get parcels of land right on the water could pay for part also. Just a couple of ideas to throw out there.

Back