News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Crazy dream ideas for Calgary

That certainly qualifies as crazy, but I like it. Calgary Island has a nice ring to it if you ask me. I also like the green spaces you added in you mock up.

Still as the article points out, the CPR line is going to be vital when we finally get around to inter-city rail linkages. If only there were someway to have both.

This is even crazier than surrealplaces proposal idea. Why not have a canal running in the spot where he has shown, but also have the rail tracks above it? You could still make good use of the land and the space underneath the bridge where the railway is, and also still use the canal . Am I crazy?

This is even crazier than surrealplaces proposal idea. Why not have a canal running in the spot where he has shown, but also have the rail tracks above it? You could still make good use of the land and the space underneath the bridge where the railway is, and also still use the canal . Am I crazy?

Yes, you are. Cause who would want to take a leasurely raft below a train line? Clearly the answer is to tunnell the train under the canal. :p

Well that's positively astounding.

I'm trying to picture an elevated train deck above a canal..... It would be the cheap way to do it, but I'm not sure I see the practical side of it...how it would actually function I wonder?

Tunnelling the train would be the way to go and could still happen feasibly, but tunnelling and then building over top of it, but of course economics being the way they are they would likely build condos and office over top.

I grew up in Coach Hill. I lived there for over 25 years. So this part of town is my jam. One thing that has always bugged the hell out of me though is how close yet awkwardly far Coach Hill, Paterson, et al. is from the University. Edworthy Park is one of the cities hidden gems, but I think it could be even better. What if they covered over some of the stretches of highway with urban versions of the Banff Wildlife Overpasses?

Edworthy would then find itself at the dead centre of a sprawling and continuous stretch of pathways and green spaces connecting the U of C, Downtown, Signal Hill and COP. Throw in a couple more foot bridges over the river and you can easily add Shouldice Park and the green space at Point McKay to the list too.

upload_2016-11-24_16-16-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-24_16-16-8.png
    upload_2016-11-24_16-16-8.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 376
I don't think that idea is all that crazy Oddball. You might be on to some thing that could be used in other parts of the city. I lived in McKenzie towne for a while and my girlfriend lived in the older Mckenzie. One of the things that drove me nuts was how separated the two were, and it drove me nuts how separated Mckenzie Towne was in general. If you had those kind of overpasses over the Deerfoot, they could be a wide pass with some vegetation, and also they could be sloped nicely rather than they steep switchback type entrance/exit ways.

I think it's pretty universal, everyone with a pulse hates the gravel pit/splinter factory that currently graces the old York Hotel site at 1 st Stree and 6th Ave. So, until some architectural marvel graces us with its beauteous countenances, I think it would be awesome if they set up a skating rink there. The Chamber of Commerce could rent out skates and sell cocoa and the Palomino could set up an outdoor BBQ booth and sell brisket sandwiches. Tourists and locals alike could take in the sensation of skating underneath Calgary's tallest and fanciest towers. Heck there's probably enough space to set up some temp bleachers and have a few hockey games. TCPL vs. Enbridge, grudge match anyone?

Stupid Bow II. I hate your lack of existence so much.

I think it's pretty universal, everyone with a pulse hates the gravel pit/splinter factory that currently graces the old York Hotel site at 1 st Stree and 6th Ave. So, until some architectural marvel graces us with its beauteous countenances, I think it would be awesome if they set up a skating rink there. The Chamber of Commerce could rent out skates and sell cocoa and the Palomino could set up an outdoor BBQ booth and sell brisket sandwiches. Tourists and locals alike could take in the sensation of skating underneath Calgary's tallest and fanciest towers. Heck there's probably enough space to set up some temp bleachers and have a few hockey games. TCPL vs. Enbridge, grudge match anyone?

Stupid Bow II. I hate your lack of existence so much.
I would love to see a skating rink ( winter) and basketball/street hockey(summer) at spot where the York was. Crazy as it is, even an outdoor gym, would be pretty cool.

There are a number of ways to use that park that would be better than what's there. How about a theater stage for amateurs to do live performances? Maybe it could be used for movie nights once in a while?

There are a number of ways to use that park that would be better than what's there. How about a theater stage for amateurs to do live performances? Maybe it could be used for movie nights once in a while?

I really like the idea of a public outdoor movie night. It would be pretty easy to accomplish. Cool Runnings anyone? Maybe you should send your suggestion to the Calgary Film Festival people? Or the U of C Film department.

WARNING: The Following might be offensive to the eyes and possibly the bowls of potential observers.

An am not a student of art or design. I'm more of a naive enthusiast. A pillock if you will. However, what I lack in good taste, sense and ability I think I make up for in craziness (see title of thread), dreaminess (see title of thread) and enthusiasm for MS Paint! And heck, it's been too long since we've had a crazy dream idea. I was inspired by this awesome picture of Telus Sky:

upload_2017-6-16_13-20-0.png

And was moved to come up with this:

upload_2017-6-16_13-20-48.png

To which you might fairly reply, "Oddball, what the hell does a crudely doodled Rugby-Ball Laser-Gun Spaceship have to do with Telus Sky?" To which I might say "This!":

upload_2017-6-16_13-22-56.png

To which you might say, "Your warning was in no way strong enough. I think I'm going to be sick, then rip out my eyes, then be sick again." Which is probably the correct response. So let me explain myself. I know my doodle sucks, but I was trying to express my thoughts visually. It didn't totally pan out, but I think it can help me get my vision across. While looking at this picture, I couldn't help but notice the cruddy rooftops of the otherwise elegant streetscape of Stephen Ave. It looks a really lame from above, but they're all wonderful heritage resources and thus not going anywhere anytime soon. So why not build a cool building above and around them, that's more visually appealing from above and fills in the low elevation on the skyline.

My building isn't cool, but in a professional's hands I don't see why it couldn't be. My vision would preserve the sunlight over most of the block between 1st and Centre While covering over the lame rooftops with I donno, a cool glass encased indoor year round skating rink/grocery store on one side of the street and a rooftop park space on the other. As an added bonus, the main access would hopefully us up the parking lot at the corner of Centre and 7th.

Thank you for your time. You may now shun me. :oops:

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-16_13-20-0.png
    upload_2017-6-16_13-20-0.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 422
  • upload_2017-6-16_13-20-48.png
    upload_2017-6-16_13-20-48.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 304
  • upload_2017-6-16_13-22-56.png
    upload_2017-6-16_13-22-56.png
    765.6 KB · Views: 379

Back