News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Crane Count

I was coming here to break the news about the Marriott crane, but was beaten to the punch. The crane count is going to start dropping over the next 4-6 months, but at least we have a few more on the horizon.

-one more for West Village towers
-500 block no doubt
-maybe Rhapsody?
-Brentwood Village
- 2 or 3 for the cancer centre.

The Mackimmie Tower expansion/revitalization (two floors added, new glazing and interior)

No, I feel like they won't be releasing any, if they haven't by now. But I do know that it has been green lit to be part of a new national initiative by the Canada Green Building Council for zero-carbon buildings. It's one of a handful (like 16 I think?) around the country underway, and the only one at a university campus. Pretty cool it sounds like.

https://www.cagbc.org/CAGBC/Zero_Carbon/mackimmie_profile.aspx

It's not though, it was selected for the project and received additional funding to see it through, lol.

I meant LEED Canada and zero carbon buildings. Modern buildings systems are efficient. They don't have large footprints. It doesn't stand for much with buildings achieving high LEED ratings that are only accessible by car. It just make businesses think they are greener than they are hence the sales pitch analogy.

I honestly could care less about making it greener, I'm just happy that there will be one less ugly/outdated building on campus. There are a lot of buildings at uofc that need serious overhauls done on them like social sciences building.

Social Sciences does need a redo yeah, but as far as U of C goes, SS is pretty alright. Science A, B, and Science Theatres are all gross(ly) inadequate and institutional looking. Mac Hall could use a major refresh as well.

I think Social Science Tower is already getting a refresh actually. The concrete exterior wasn't structurally stable so they have had to restabilize that stuff, and now probably just waiting for funding? I dunno.

I honestly could care less about making it greener, I'm just happy that there will be one less ugly/outdated building on campus. There are a lot of buildings at uofc that need serious overhauls done on them like social sciences building.

You mean you don't like the 1960's soviet style architecture?

LOL pretty much! They look like tall depressing concrete blocks from distance. And to add to the Mac hall renovations, I graduated in 2017, every year they would have vote during SU elections for expanding MacHall and the answer would be a clear NO. I think students like me at the time didn't want to compensate the prime years of our life in exchange for construction that would have killed the vibe of MacHall. We were all pretty selfish I guess.

So there are a bunch of projects the the university would like to do with the right funding. A lot of the time, the projects get split into different bits, then funded and implemented separately from different pots of money, instead of as one big project.
upload_2018-2-15_10-53-7.png

So Social Sciences, the facade may happen first, with integrated solar panels, depending on grant programs. This is listed in Minor Preservation, whereas life-cycling the building is up on the priority projects list. Some things might come from government, some from self funding, some from a combination of student funding, self funding, gifts, and government funding. The Student Centre now that law suits are done, might come about in its larger form that was rejected in a student referendum a few years ago. Science A, the labs are being emptied into EEEL and the workshops are being renewed, in advance of an unfunded renewal.

https://www.ucalgary.ca/sites/default/files/ucgy/groups/Marketing/2017 CIP.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-15_10-53-7.png
    upload_2018-2-15_10-53-7.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 316
Soon for the university. Probably build the rebar work and place the crane base and pour by the end of this weekend, assemble the crane next weekend:
upload_2018-3-12_9-13-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-12_9-13-56.png
    upload_2018-3-12_9-13-56.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:

Back