News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Contemporary Calgary walks away from negotiations to take over old planetarium

Sounds like the City is really doing a great job at finding ways to kill things, instead of finding ways to let things advance.

Agree. It seems like the perfect fit to me, the city only needed to be a bit more accommodating. As it stands now, it sits there empty, and this long arduous process has already burned up three years they might as well have just let them have it for the 10 years right off the bat.
I can understand why Wooley would be frustrated .

Going by the article, the whole issue is over how long the the group would be able to use the facility? The city offered 33 months, and they were looking for a longer period? If that's the case, then yes, the city needs to be amenable to this. I don't know if there are other groups vying to get in? Maybe that's why the city isn't giving them more help.

The city seems to want to only offer a lease based on committed funds, but the organization needs a lease to get the funds committed. So stupid.

I don't have a problem with the city's decision to play it safe here. If they can't raise the $30 million in 3 years, they won't be able to afford the operating costs for either 33 months or 10 years. The city's art budget is limited. 10 years is a long time to step in and cover the shortages. Hopefully, the city and Contemporary Calgary can find a cheaper venue for both parties.

It's a wealthy city of 1.6 million. Where are the philanthropists? $30 million is nothing in the grand scheme.

I don't have a problem with the city's decision to play it safe here. If they can't raise the $30 million in 3 years, they won't be able to afford the operating costs for either 33 months or 10 years. The city's art budget is limited. 10 years is a long time to step in and cover the shortages. Hopefully, the city and Contemporary Calgary can find a cheaper venue for both parties.

It's a wealthy city of 1.6 million. Where are the philanthropists? $30 million is nothing in the grand scheme.
Good point about the philanthropists. It would have been nice to see some love from some of the rich artsy folk thrown it's way.

Back