News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Capital Power and Ontario Power Generation partner to advance new nuclear in Alberta

Great news. Hopefully they garner similar interest as carbon capture and storage with natural gas.

As long as any large government support is on the back end, this is a little downside thing.
It has plenty of downside as SMRs are still unproven. I'm expecting no government support whatsoever beyond not holding up approvals. I suspect this would be built at Genesee.

OPG should be able learn from SMR deployment at Darlington.

Is this to be tied to the grid, or lower the carbon footprint of the Oil Sands? I recall discussion about the latter some time ago...

Is this to be tied to the grid, or lower the carbon footprint of the Oil Sands? I recall discussion about the latter some time ago...
Probably tied to the grid as an alternative to the once proposed Genesee 4 and 5 projects. No existing oil sand operation would take the risk on SMR or replace their existing steam plants. Perhaps a greenfield SAGD plant might, but those are unlikely to occur.

Last edited:
It has plenty of downside as SMRs are still unproven. I'm expecting no government support whatsoever beyond not holding up approvals. I suspect this would be built at Genesee.

OPG should be able learn from SMR deployment at Darlington.
Delivering at a repeatable and predictable cost is unproven.

I suspect as things get moving 'Canada' will be building/ordering one to two of these every year. That changes all sorts of supply chain risks. Getting to there from here though, you have 10 years of valley of death.

Probably tied to the grid as an alternative to the once proposed Genesee 4 and 5 projects. No existing oil sand operation would take the risk on SMR or replace there existing steam plants. Perhaps a greenfield SAGD plant might, but those are unlikely to occur.
There is a different SMR company that is targeting industrial heat. Much smaller scale than these.

These 300 megawatt ones are less SMR in my mind, but more an optimization of size to derisk and leverage scale to try to achieve replaceable and interchangeable parts instead of bespoke builds.

Delivering at a repeatable and predictable cost is unproven.

I suspect as things get moving 'Canada' will be building/ordering one to two of these every year. That changes all sorts of supply chain risks. Getting to there from here though, you have 10 years of valley of death.
Let OPG take most of the risk at Darlington at see what happens

Reactions: AJX
Let OPG take most of the risk at Darlington at see what happens
Bingo.
Feds are in for a billion https://globalnews.ca/news/9224597/ontario-small-nuclear-plant-construction/
Province is in for 4 reactors, which can hopefully show some scale benefits https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/...ll-modular-reactors-to-power-provinces-growth

Getting business and regulatory to the point of all but long lead time items seems smart though.The province has risked a lot more money on strategic things in the past.

Back