News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Canada Immigration discussion

YourBoy007

Member Bio
Reaction score
Our civic population surpassed 1.4m last year I believe. With Airdrie alone closing in on 100,000, Calgary's metro population is probably more in the 1.6-1.7m range now so hitting that 2 million will come sooner than a lot of people think.
This is all bad, this is all very bad. We're not having babies. Actually mass immigration has hurt our birth rate more while simultaneously decimating our housing markets, SOL, healthcare systems, and society overall. All goes hand-in-hand with our birth rate. Actually "diversity" has lead to a very clear and direct ethnic segregation especially among south asians and also east asians - with both groups collectively disliking each other. We cannot continue to be so naive as to believe we will all get along. We don't and we won't. And this is OUR country. We must remember that and put large protections in place for us citizens. Sadly, our governments left us all behind. Actually, they left us to starve. And for what??? Our GDP is nill. They/us risked it all for nothing.

1705449518558.png
1705449614193.png
1705449642454.png
1705449683088.png

1705449775432.png
1705449913851.png

SAIT degrees are already becoming less and less valuable each year. UoC degrees have also taken a hit.

But hey, at least we have a high GDP...... nevermind.

I'd rather not have my country decimated than have a few extra skyscrapers.

CBC and CTV can't even deny this anymore. Shit, our dumb piece of crap ex-housing minister just admitted it.

It's a vicious cycle. Back when people had families of 3-5 kids, we didn't need much immigration, it became increasingly more expensive to have larger families and now it's too expensive to run a family of 5-7. To the point where we're having to rely on heavy immigration. It always amazes me that we used to have large families with only one income, but these days that's pretty much impossible.

Immigration can continue of the cycle is correct, which I doubt it will be under Trudeau.

The cost of living needs to come down. Food, heating, gas, housing etc all need to be cheaper and more attainable in order for people to see having kids as feasible, because right now its unattractive to a lot of people due to the cost.

Housing can be made cheaper by applying basic economics, less immigration means less people looking for a first home in Canada, it should be brought down to a reasonable amount, which it isn't atm. It more difficult than but, ya know. As i'm writing this i'm sitting in an economics class at my university, there's 31 people in the room, 18 of which are international students.

Food gas and heating are another story with its own political short comings that need to be addressed. Canada's standard of living in terms of GDP per capita has been stagnating since the time Trudeau took office, and has decreased since 2021 and he doesn't seem to care. Wages are down, living expenses up and yet we see more tax increases.

Let's please keep white replacement theory off this message board, thanks. Also, please note that people here on student visas (or any other temporary visa) are not immigrants and have little to nothing to do with immigration policy. If you're going to make these xenophobic comments, you could actually get some of your facts correct.

As for whether immigration has led to "ethnic segregation" and inter-ethnic conflict, people have been saying those kinds of things for as long as they have been migrating to North America. Check out Benjamin Franklin's comments about the "swarthy", "undisciplined" Germans who were opening up businesses and newspapers that communicated exclusively in German! The horror!

This is all bad, this is all very bad. We're not having babies. Actually mass immigration has hurt our birth rate more while simultaneously decimating our housing markets, SOL, healthcare systems, and society overall. All goes hand-in-hand with our birth rate. Actually "diversity" has lead to a very clear and direct ethnic segregation especially among south asians and also east asians - with both groups collectively disliking each other. We cannot continue to be so naive as to believe we will all get along. We don't and we won't. And this is OUR country. We must remember that and put large protections in place for us citizens. Sadly, our governments left us all behind. Actually, they left us to starve. And for what??? Our GDP is nill. They/us risked it all for nothing.

View attachment 533633View attachment 533634View attachment 533635View attachment 533636

View attachment 533637View attachment 533638

SAIT degrees are already becoming less and less valuable each year. UoC degrees have also taken a hit.

But hey, at least we have a high GDP...... nevermind.

I'd rather not have my country decimated than have a few extra skyscrapers.

CBC and CTV can't even deny this anymore. Shit, our dumb piece of crap ex-housing minister just admitted it.

While I typically refrain from discussing social or political issues on these forums, your mention of this topic prompts me, as a South Asian Canadian born to immigrant parents in the 90s, to share my perspective. I largely agree with many of your points. What concerns me, however, is the hope that Canadians, like yourself, are not mixing the new wave of South Asians with those who arrived before 2015.

I can assure you that even older generations of Indo-Canadian immigrants disapprove of the current mass influx of what many consider subpar immigrants, driven by the Liberal government's efforts to bolster GDP numbers and fulfill their large population agenda. While I fully agree that the Liberals have compromised the integrity of the immigration system and contributed to the housing crisis, it's unfortunate that recent events have given rise to racism and stereotyping of South Asians on social media. This is tarnishing the hard-earned reputation of South Asians who came to Canada before this recent wave.

I believe everything, including immigration, should be approached in moderation. I acknowledge and agree with your frustration with the current quality of immigrants. But, instead of using a racist undertone in discussions, I suggest channelling your frustration towards a local MP from a Liberal riding with objective facts, rather than making subjective statements like "[we're] naive to believe we will all get along." As a South Asian who grew up in a relatively segregated community, I've made friends with people from various religious, ethnic, and racial backgrounds, as have my friends and family members. Canada has always been a country of diversity. Before the 1970s, when there were primarily only white people, they'd segregate amongst themselves through ethnic groups and religious affiliations. Let's strive to be well-informed and avoid ignorant comments. By the way, I'm not offended by your comment, I think you have valid points but they came off a bit ignorant and divisive.

Immigration can continue of the cycle is correct, which I doubt it will be under Trudeau.

The cost of living needs to come down. Food, heating, gas, housing etc all need to be cheaper and more attainable in order for people to see having kids as feasible, because right now its unattractive to a lot of people due to the cost.

Housing can be made cheaper by applying basic economics, less immigration means less people looking for a first home in Canada, it should be brought down to a reasonable amount, which it isn't atm. It more difficult than but, ya know. As i'm writing this i'm sitting in an economics class at my university, there's 31 people in the room, 18 of which are international students.

Food gas and heating are another story with its own political short comings that need to be addressed. Canada's standard of living in terms of GDP per capita has been stagnating since the time Trudeau took office, and has decreased since 2021 and he doesn't seem to care. Wages are down, living expenses up and yet we see more tax increases.
See the problem is, that the Canadian economy has been so jacked up by mass immigration, that a significant cutback would result in a contraction in the economy across the board, including financial losses for post-secondary institutions. And if a future PM like Pierre does significantly cut back on the current immigration numbers, there is bound to be a recession and a massive backlash as a result. On top of that, if there was a contraction in the home process due to reduced demand, then recent homebuyers, retirees, and investors would be left holding a massive loss. Basically, Justin Trudeau has royally fucked this country for a whole generation. Sorry to make it political but it's facts and facts don't care about feelings.

The good news is, Skyrise Calgary will be busy with more housing proposals for the next few years :)

I don’t see a scenario where all forms of immigration population growth (permanent immigrants, temporary foreign workers, international students) isn’t throttled back significantly.

A recession would be painful, but living standards are deteriorating under the current scenario. The infrastructure is not there to absorb current population growth.

I don’t see a scenario where all forms of immigration population growth (permanent immigrants, temporary foreign workers, international students) isn’t throttled back significantly.

A recession would be painful, but living standards are deteriorating under the current scenario. The infrastructure is not there to absorb current population growth.
I'd like to see a massive cutback too. But the fact the opposition leader, Pierre Pollievre, keeps beating around the bush around immigration numbers tells me he's going to be reluctant to make massive cuts. I think it's completely devastating to see the damage done by our current leaders. We've robbed an entire generation not only financially but also made a basic human necessity into a luxury good, forcing this new generation to enslave away their lives to pay off a shoebox-sized home. A 20-30% national correction in home prices would be much appreciated but let's get real, that most likely ain't happening.

I'd like to see a massive cutback too. But the fact the opposition leader, Pierre Pollievre, keeps beating around the bush around immigration numbers tells me he's going to be reluctant to make massive cuts. I think it's completely devastating to see the damage done by our current leaders. We've robbed an entire generation not only financially but also made a basic human necessity into a luxury good, forcing this new generation to enslave away their lives to pay off a shoebox-sized home. A 20-30% national correction in home prices would be much appreciated but let's get real, that most likely ain't happening.
I’d think one of the reasons he does not come outright and say a cut in immigration is because their electoral hopes rest on the 905 (GTA suburbs). These are immigrant heavy and particular South Asian immigrants. Some may have view immigration levels negatively but the disapproval rate is lower than the rest of the population. If opinion swings more in those key ridings, I can certainly see that being a central campaign message come 2025.
Also even if he has a nuanced view on immigration, you know how it will be framed in the mainstream media, just too risky right now.

I just think public opinion is swinging on immigration (reasonable, rational, and expert people are joining the debate), and politicians won’t be able to ignore it forever.

Ignore it too long, and they risk public opinion becoming something more inflammatory and dangerous.

I also feel bad for newcomers hoping for a better life, some of whom have mortgaged their lives to come here, only to find that a better life is unattainable.

This has always been the case (for immigrants without existing wealth). Immigrants (generally) face an uphill battle when moving to Canada, and it often takes a second generation to reach that equivalent Canadian standard of living, but under current costs of living, it might take a third generation to reach that dream.

We're way off on urban development and proposals but I'll just add my two cents. Definitely don't appreciate the blame on the international immigrant for where the country is, unless you're indigenous, you or your family came here wanting what all immigrants want, a better life.

International immigration numbers need to come down. I'm not a scholar so take the next part for what you will and I don't believe all our problem's are "the immigrant" but more people coming here (from Ontario and BC too) has increased demand for services that were already stretched after the post-covid demand. It has increased the labour market which has been good for businesses but it hasn't helped my wage (which went up only 1.92% in the last 18 months). I have theory that if there was less labour available not actually that much less work would be getting done, people would be paid more to do more, increasing our productivity (GDP).

What some people have posted in this thread is prejudice and shameful. You can have theories about immigration without being prejudice. It isn't just international immigration to blame but you conveniently forgot about the fact our provincial government told people from other province's to come here while our services were already stretched. Meanwhile all the opposition can do is setup town halls about some pension thing that isn't even happening. So yeah, there are people to get mad at but not the people you're targeting.

How, specifically, do you know that 18 students are "international"?
This is a class that continues through my 4 years of school with the same students, which i’ve gotten to know over my time. Numerous introductions from everyone so i’m aware of where everyone is attending school from and where they moved from.

My fault, I should’ve made it clear I wasn’t making a blind assumption.

What % of our population are we bringing in every year? It was always about 1%, which seems stable, but it seems far higher right now. I definitely think we need to pump the brakes on it a bit, affordability is a full blown crisis right now and everything seems to be making it worse.

Back