News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary's facades

M

mark simpson

arriva.jpg

they tend to have the smooth glass curtain walls I always wished for Toronto's condo towers ( Spire for example) but now I don't know - looks too corporate

thoughts?

Isn't it the same as many of the Cityplace buildings except they haven't put on the window borders yet?

Based on observations I made on a 2005 trip to Calgary, 95% of their tall building architecture is 100% boring, whether we're talking offices or condos. Many of the buildings are shockingly ugly. I wish I had some pics to prove the point...

Anyway, that city has got nothing architecturally to go greeen over.

The rounded corners is so-oooo 80s. If that's what they have to offer in terms of architecture, they can keep it.

Again, the institutional projects in Alberta (as in elsewhere) are the ones to take note of.

AoD

Quality of construction is much lower is Alberta. They actually construct 5 or 6-storey residential buildings out of WOOD! Building codes are stricter in Ontario and quality is generally better.

I agree. I just got back from Calgary and I am always surprised at how busy and 1980s everything looks. However, it might be good if we relaxed some of our overly cautious building requirements. If we could build apartments out of wood (with appropriate fire-proofing) perhaps we could get more midrises along main avenues.

Probably more illuminating congflagrations along major avenues, as well.

If we could build apartments out of wood (with appropriate fire-proofing) perhaps we could get more midrises along main avenues.
I don't follow...why can't we get mid-rises out of concrete now?

Nothing in this Country aside from a garden shed or dog house should be constructed out of wood. This is Canada, not the 3rd World.

Darkstar:

Cost - highrises are claimed to be more economical due to the reusability of concrete formworks over multiple floors. Mid-rises on the other hand often has less "modularity", driving up the unit cost.

AoD

Why not steel? I find it strange too now that houses are still made out of wood frames. Why not steel? It would allow for more pre-fabrication, which could reduce the added expense of steel. Especially that demolition-recycling is becoming much more in vogue.

The rounded corners is so-oooo 80s. If that's what they have to offer in terms of architecture, they can keep it.

We offered it at one point in our history. Look at 195 The West Mall (the new Nortel head office)...

West%20Mall%20&%20Dundas.jpg

Cheap trick rounded buildings are always an easy sell - just look how everyone on this forum goes apeshit over The Met.

Hey, the ultimate "Cheap trick rounded building" from the 80s is Village Terraces at 260 Heath W. Why, it even uses the "Cheap Trick" font in the signage...

Cheap trick rounded buildings are always an easy sell - just look how everyone on this forum goes apeshit over The Met.

We can’t all have such discerning taste. I guess that’s why I like the Met and hate the new opera house.

Back