News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary's Downtown Dilemma

Thousands will soon be moving into Calgary's converted office towers. What are they going to do there?​

The news article title is geared toward office space conversion, but the article is more toward the public realm of the downtown core.
They'll do the same as everyone else who lives downtown. The headline of the article should be "How can we improve downtown's public realm?"

It was announced on Tuesday that CNRL is moving out of it's current 3 buildings (Home Oil Tower, Bankers East & West) and moving into the Shell and Devon towers starting the end of 2025 and through mid 2026. 2,800 employees total.
They will be taking over the entire Shell tower and half of the Devon tower with room to expand there.

While it is interesting to see the big moves, I was somewhat hoping that the Shell Tower would be a conversion candidate (I know, a very faint hope), given the square floor plates that are pretty similar in size to modern apartment buildings.
Same, but I don’t think big blocks up to a million square feet really exist? Ten years ago they would have just ordered the second phase of Brookfield.

Better this outcome than either more building either downtown or in the suburbs.

While it is interesting to see the big moves, I was somewhat hoping that the Shell Tower would be a conversion candidate (I know, a very faint hope), given the square floor plates that are pretty similar in size to modern apartment buildings.
Me too, but tbh, the Home Oil tower is probably as good a candidate as the Shell tower to convert. Both are the same age, and the Home tower is nicer, also is right above a mall and LRT station. I would love to see it converted, but it's not likely we'll see it happen there either.

Kind of surprised CNRL is leaving Bankers Hall, their space in there must need a lot of work!
It is straight out of the 90s. Well I guess 2000. And they were among the first back to the office. Perhaps they've realized that fully depreciated still in use isn't a good thing. Though that means they can replace everything greatly simplifying moving by avoiding the temptation of the largely false economies of moving most furniture.

If they had a 25 year lease in Bankers West, it is done in 2025.

Back