News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary's Downtown Dilemma

In addition to continual residential growth via replacement, conversion or net new, I also think new larger-scale entertainment options like a full movie theatre are super critical and currently missing. Yes there is a cineplex in Eau Claire for now, but it's surprisingly not very central to the inner city's urban density and isn't urban format. I am thinking something closer ot the East Village Superstore or the Beltline Canadian Tire equivalent.

It always struck me as a wasted opportunity when this Courthouse Park was built. Usually I am all for defending public realm and public spaces, the only thing is downtown doesn't actually need more of this type of public space. The park is designed pretty much as a corporate plaza featuring a few horse statues with limited uses beyond downtown workers to eat their lunches outside an hour a day, a few months a year.

Don't get me wrong - Courthouse park is nice enough as a park. But we have dozens of these spaces everywhere in the core, did we actually need another one? How does this park contribute to solving downtown's great challenges around being perceived as boring, empty and limited activity after 5 pm?

1649697433001.png

What should have gone there in my idealist world? Urban format cineplex.
  • Directly connected to the existing mall via the Plus 15 to the 4 Street Station.
  • Synergistic link to both the mall and the nearby Globe Theatre for the occasional film fest.
  • Immediate, high-quality transit access for all quadrants. The only theatre directly on an LRT line.
  • Attracts evening users, families and teenagers - everything the downtown is missing.

I would have also accepted a proper, barrier-free public urban square style park. That would give full circulation to pedestrian in all directions fully integrated into the station, instead of yet another park broken up by concrete barriers and weird lines preventing access from many direction. The square could be used events, but would far more flexible and open than Olympic Plaza (with yet another weird, broken up design), while being located far closer and more integrated with transit, the mall and retail district, and the nearby population clusters of the central Beltline.

Often I think our inner city park designs here are too focused on creating quaint, intimate park amenities rather than proper monumental ones. It's almost designed to say this park should be a way to forget you are in a city, rather than celebrate and integrated into the highly urban context. Often they are unsuccessful in practice because that's not what is missing in highly urban areas. In a way, it's a suburban way of thinking about public spaces - the urban context should be minimized and managed, not celebrated and integrated with.

Best examples of these types of parks are seen in older NA cities like New York and all over Europe. A park design that imagines many thousands of different users daily, coming from all directions, with many just cutting through the park for efficient access to the train station. Century Gardens is getting closer but is limited by the parcels around it to fully be that square.

Of course we need both styles of park, but the downtown and surrounding areas should have some leanings toward more of that higher-capacity, urban and monumental style plaza than yet another quaint sitting area for office workers 1 hour a day.

TL/DR: build a urban format cineplex immediately adjacent to the LRT in downtown. Also build better, more urban parks.

north of 8th ave to 4 Ave, and west of Macleod Trail to 8 St SW
Using Jonny Canuck's criteria I looked at that section of downtown and outside of conversions, there isn't a ton of opportunity to bring people into that area.

I found 9 empty/development ready pieces of land. That includes the site of the second bow tower and the old CBE building. There just isn't a lot of opportunity to move the needle here, even if you put large scale residential of every single one of these squares. Maybe you take all vehicle traffic off 3rd Street (green)? But that would even be a waste as I don't think that's stopping the area from being vibrant. The area has everything you'd want, some micro parks, transit, and its not very rundown either.

Its just quiet. I haven't been anywhere and everywhere but in the cities I've been to some parts of downtowns are just quiet.

I think there are other parts of downtown that could use the attention before this part of downtown.
CBD.JPG

Subsidizing private developers with taxpayer dollars is a bad idea (it's strange to see the NDP proposing something like this as it seems to run counter to their ethos 🤷‍♂️). Fixing downtown is not simply about buildings and uses - it's about creating cohesive public spaces that link properties together. That includes streets, parks, the transit system, and the +15.

If we invest public cash into making downtown a place that people actually want to spend time, private investment will follow. That means taking a number of steps:

1) The first is improving public safety by cracking down on petty crime and disorder. There should be zero-tolerance for harassment and abuse of people who are simply going about their day in the downtown core. This has become a huge problem since the onset of the pandemic and is not an easy fix.

2) We need to transform our streets into places that are enjoyable to walk, cycle, drive, and sit on a patio with a coffee or a drink. Arguably Stephen Ave is the only street that accomplishes this at the moment. How can we achieve this?:
  • Adding on-street parking everywhere possible as an immediate cost-effective step. Our major roads downtown are significantly overbuilt and this can be done with minimal impact on traffic flow. This has the effect of slowing down traffic and creates a buffer that improves the pedestrian experience - which in turn supports street-front retail.
  • Planting some trees (and actually watering them) - this should be fairly simple but we can't seem to do it properly. Granted, we do have a challenging climate for trees but the way the City only waters them for one season and then leaves them is idiotic. I'd also like to see some creative use of coniferous street trees to provide some greenery in the winter.
  • Improve our streetscapes with wider sidewalks carved out via lane diets / removal of wide outside lanes and unnecessary laybys. Better sidewalk paving and street furniture/lighting etc.
  • Complete the bike lane network with a proper E/W link along 4th, 5th or 6th Ave.
3) Most importantly, we need to properly maintain the investments we do make. The City seems to be good at spending capital dollars but is atrocious at maintaining things. For example, Stephen Avenue is a patchwork of missing pavers that have been alternatively replaced with asphalt and concrete that is selectively the appropriate colour/finish. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the streetscape design, but because it has been so poorly maintained we are in a place where we need to allocate major capex that could otherwise be directed to improving other parts of downtown.

The new underpasses at 1st and 8th are another good example - they are now just as disgusting as they were pre-renovation. We would have been better served by sparing the expense on fancy design / lighting features in favour of funding maintenance/cleaning of these spaces in perpetuity. East Village is the only place that seems to be properly maintained - that model should be expanded to cover all of downtown / Beltline.

4) Downtown zoning (CR20) still incentivizes retail space at the +15 level in new developments. There's nothing wrong with the +15 system and it is a nice amenity to have in a winter city, but this antiquated zoning needs to be removed. If anything, density bonusing should support streetfront retail and active uses on the ground floor.

Last edited:
The new underpasses at 1st and 8th are another good example - they are now just as disgusting as they were pre-renovation. We would have been better served by sparing the expense on fancy design / lighting features in favour of funding maintenance/cleaning of these spaces in perpetuity. East Village is the only place that seems to be properly maintained - that model should be expanded to cover all of downtown / Beltline.

The 1st Street SW underpass was particularly poorly designed. It actually slightly narrowed the sidewalk width. When designing these places, we have to start from first principles that should never be compromised. Sidewalks cannot be narrowed and here they were. The obvious solution that was never considered was reducing 1st Street to 2 vehicle lanes, from the current 4. There is no vehicle traffic rationale for having 4 lanes at this location since 1st Street terminates at 17 Avenue. It's essentially a local road. The design would have been better suited to doubling the width of sidewalks on both sides.

In addition to continual residential growth via replacement, conversion or net new, I also think new larger-scale entertainment options like a full movie theatre are super critical and currently missing. Yes there is a cineplex in Eau Claire for now, but it's surprisingly not very central to the inner city's urban density and isn't urban format. I am thinking something closer ot the East Village Superstore or the Beltline Canadian Tire equivalent.

It always struck me as a wasted opportunity when this Courthouse Park was built. Usually I am all for defending public realm and public spaces, the only thing is downtown doesn't actually need more of this type of public space. The park is designed pretty much as a corporate plaza featuring a few horse statues with limited uses beyond downtown workers to eat their lunches outside an hour a day, a few months a year.

Don't get me wrong - Courthouse park is nice enough as a park. But we have dozens of these spaces everywhere in the core, did we actually need another one? How does this park contribute to solving downtown's great challenges around being perceived as boring, empty and limited activity after 5 pm?

View attachment 391935

What should have gone there in my idealist world? Urban format cineplex.
  • Directly connected to the existing mall via the Plus 15 to the 4 Street Station.
  • Synergistic link to both the mall and the nearby Globe Theatre for the occasional film fest.
  • Immediate, high-quality transit access for all quadrants. The only theatre directly on an LRT line.
  • Attracts evening users, families and teenagers - everything the downtown is missing.

I would have also accepted a proper, barrier-free public urban square style park. That would give full circulation to pedestrian in all directions fully integrated into the station, instead of yet another park broken up by concrete barriers and weird lines preventing access from many direction. The square could be used events, but would far more flexible and open than Olympic Plaza (with yet another weird, broken up design), while being located far closer and more integrated with transit, the mall and retail district, and the nearby population clusters of the central Beltline.

Often I think our inner city park designs here are too focused on creating quaint, intimate park amenities rather than proper monumental ones. It's almost designed to say this park should be a way to forget you are in a city, rather than celebrate and integrated into the highly urban context. Often they are unsuccessful in practice because that's not what is missing in highly urban areas. In a way, it's a suburban way of thinking about public spaces - the urban context should be minimized and managed, not celebrated and integrated with.

Best examples of these types of parks are seen in older NA cities like New York and all over Europe. A park design that imagines many thousands of different users daily, coming from all directions, with many just cutting through the park for efficient access to the train station. Century Gardens is getting closer but is limited by the parcels around it to fully be that square.

Of course we need both styles of park, but the downtown and surrounding areas should have some leanings toward more of that higher-capacity, urban and monumental style plaza than yet another quaint sitting area for office workers 1 hour a day.

TL/DR: build a urban format cineplex immediately adjacent to the LRT in downtown. Also build better, more urban parks.
Couldn't agree more with how to talk about the parks downtown.

In London, Charter House Square is a favourite: https://goo.gl/maps/6JeC5jBZiK6XeTsJ6

In New York, Bryant Park is another favourite: https://g.page/bryant-park-new-york?share

They had the opportunity to do either and instead chose concrete.

It's a very difficult task turning a CDB like Calgary's into something vibrant. We've have a very higher ratio of office space in the core, and so much of that office space was built in the past 40 years with no regards for public space or streetscape vibrancy. Sadly, the even cool nice buildings of late (Telus sky, Brookfield Place, 707 - 5th, and the Bow) are among the worst offenders.
Thankfully we won't see any new office towers for a while. That's the first step to the path of recovery.

Where to spend the money and how to go about it is hard, because it's such a large task. It's probably going to be a case of small victories here and there on the way to any success. If there's an opportunity to convert to residential, I think we should do it. It might not happen overnight, but every time a building is converted, it's going to stay residential from that point forward. We have a couple of decent cross corridors (1st Street SW, and 8th Street SW.) Maybe we can create some kind of strategy for 4th or 5th? They both go from the Beltline to Eau Claire and 5th has the cycle track.

In my opinion one of the big x-factors for downtown revitalization is tourism - specifically, the potential to capitalize on a regional rail station downtown.

We should aim for a future where Calgary's downtown is an unmissable stop for tourists on the Canmore/Banff circuit. A lot of the pieces are there, with attractions like the National Music Centre, Central Library, Calgary Tower, river walk, Stephen Avenue, future Glenbow renovations etc. but I think we don't cohesively connect them well enough, plus downtown's aura is generic at best and drab at worst.

That's why I'm a really big fan of this idea that KensingtonLurker posted earlier in this thread:
Hopefully we have reached bottom on vacancies and are going to start climbing out. There also seems to be a slight movement towards more residential in the DT, not game changing, but it helps.
Reading through this thread, I have to agree with the idea of putting a focus on streets/avenues with potential.
I have mentioned this idea in building threads, but will bring it up here too.
How about wrapping +15's in LED lights. There are options out there that allow visibility from the inside. They could have music set to the artistic designs, have an interactive component or just have artist designs. I feel like this could create an attraction that attracts locals and tourists to wander downtown at night....on the street. It helps light up downtown, thus creating a safer feeling.
I personally would think a good strategy would be to have a bit of a ring...say 8th Ave, down 8th Street, then down 4th Ave to 1st street and back to 8th Ave. I picked 4th Ave, as despite it being dn near a highway, there is a good amount of bars, restaurants, hotels and residential already. With a loop like that, I could see other North/South streets seeing more activation as a short cut between the two avenues.
Perhaps we could be "The Light on the Prairies" or Canada's "City of Lights". We have the Telus Sky lights, the light tree at Edmonton Tr & Memorial, lights on the Calgary Tower, Chinook Arc in the beltline, the 4th street rail underpass etc. Why not lean into this?
I've actually been thinking about a similar idea for years - and I think it's easy to understand why we independently arrived at similar conclusions. Walk around downtown, and it's striking how grey, shady, and dark everything is - with cool light installations, you could immediately flip that vibe on its head.

A network of really cool year-round light installations (like Zoolights for the streets) could be a big draw. It would be totally unique, an bring an 'instagrammable' factor to our city that brings international attention and makes it an important can't-miss stop on the Alberta tourist circuit. We could design the network to connect our major tourist sites into one cohesive downtown experience.

I think it would also be cool to make this light installation have programmable light colors - which you could then use to give downtown a festival vibe regardless of the season. When the Flames are in the playoffs, the lights would turn red and gold. On St. Patrick's Day they'd be green, for the Lilac Festival they'd be pink, for Halloween orange and black, so on and so forth, even tying in minor days and lesser known international festivals. It could be a big draw for Calgarians and tourists alike, and help bring a festive artistic and cultural vibe to downtown.

I'd love to see an urban format Cineplex along with other retail where the Bay parkade is. It's on the LRT line and adjacent to The Core shopping centre.
With the added population in the inner city in the last 10 years, a multiplex cinema is overdue. There was supposed to be one in the Wexford/Oxford project (old Co-op #1) site on the Green line route. Could it be added to the entertainment district near the event center? I don't see the demand for two though. Wherever it goes, it will have to be in a good location surrounded with other amenities.

When talking about urban parks, important to recall the operating budget of parks like Bryant - iirc it’s north of $10 million USD a year.

Larger than one block sure, but if we want big city amenities we have to be willing to pay for them.

And frankly we’re not willing.

Sidewalks cannot be narrowed and here they were. The obvious solution that was never considered was reducing 1st Street to 2 vehicle lanes, from the current 4. There is no vehicle traffic rationale for having 4 lanes at this location since 1st Street terminates at 17 Avenue. It's essentially a local road. The desig
I've always thought 1 St SW would have been a better alignment for the green line:

1. close the underpass to cars altogether (or maybe 1 NB lane) - just trains, buses, bikes, pedestrians
2. the northward greenline turn off 11 ave would be cheaper/easier as it would be under a Circle K and its parking lot - compared to dealing with more substantial buildings on the next block.
3. I also wonder if this would be a better location for a station than Keynote (better access for beltline, spur redevelopment of the strip mall); shift the 4 St SE station east so it's actually at 4 St/Olympic Way (plan currently states it's between 5/6 st SE, despite its name)
4. Crossing the Bow River at 1 St would be a straighter shot and less of an eyesore for PIP; IMO a worthwhile compromise for being 1 block east of Eau Claire. Sien Lok Park would be a much less disruptive base for construction...otherwise we'll get to enjoy like one summer of Jaipur Bridge/lagoon before it's another multi-year mess next-door.

I've always thought 1 St SW would have been a better alignment for the green line:

1. close the underpass to cars altogether (or maybe 1 NB lane) - just trains, buses, bikes, pedestrians
2. the northward greenline turn off 11 ave would be cheaper/easier as it would be under a Circle K and its parking lot - compared to dealing with more substantial buildings on the next block.
3. I also wonder if this would be a better location for a station than Keynote (better access for beltline, spur redevelopment of the strip mall); shift the 4 St SE station east so it's actually at 4 St/Olympic Way (plan currently states it's between 5/6 st SE, despite its name)
4. Crossing the Bow River at 1 St would be a straighter shot and less of an eyesore for PIP; IMO a worthwhile compromise for being 1 block east of Eau Claire. Sien Lok Park would be a much less disruptive base for construction...otherwise we'll get to enjoy like one summer of Jaipur Bridge/lagoon before it's another multi-year mess next-door.

Better yet, just use the 1 Street SW underpass as the basis for a future cut-and-cover LRT station box. Half your excavation is already done plus you can pre-integrated to a possible intercity rail station return. With the station mezzanine/station heads on either end of the block, you can maintain all walking and bicycle traffic access and one day create a complete street wall on 10th and 9th Avenues by effectively no longer having the street:

1649711122819.png

I am sure this would cost loads of money and have wild engineering difficulties to do what I said with existing underpass - not to mention route already selected - but would be very cool.

I am sure this would cost loads of money and have wild engineering difficulties to do what I said with existing underpass - not to mention route already selected - but would be very cool.
Love that idea! Station spacing might be a little funky. Anytime I've heard regional rail mentioned it's seemed like the station would be more likely somewhere east of 4 St SE?

I'll trust that the pros know at least a little bit more than me (despite my collection of leather-bound books), but I do wonder if they've properly re-analyzed the 2nd St alignment for cut/cover instead of a real tunnel, as well as the new Centre Street bridge connection (requiring an S shaped inclined bridge).

Calgary definitely need to work on adding vibrancy to the core part of downtown. There's Stephen Ave, but really nothing else. 3rd always had potential to be a high street, the City should try to encourage some of the ground floor spaces on the buildings lining 3rd to convert to retail or restaurants. Or close the street and line it with food trucks in the summer.

Back