West Tenth 1400 | 24m | 7s | Trimount

Brutal is an understatement

View attachment 504983
I'm going to ask what might be a dumb couple questions...

Where are these cars coming from?
Where are these cars going?

Crowchild NB over the Bow is slow, so I assume some of these cars are trying to either bypass that or take a more direct route into the communities between Crowchild and 10th Street. That cannot account for all these cars though, can it?

I do also get a chuckle when I read about people complaining about traffic in Calgary while we repeatedly rank very high when it comes to actual traffic problems. Seems to be more of perception.

Like I said earlier 14th's problem is that it isn't good for cars and it isn't good for pedestrians, or anything in between.

As DoubB says, you can squint and see how it could be improved, but it isn't on the radar.

The dt section of 14th is overbuilt as the remainder of the once planned 14th street freeway never happened. The bridge is too critical to restrict to local traffic. It would be fairly easy to free up land on either side of the bridge by removing some or all of the interchange loops. The pedestrian experience could be vastly improved with minor impact to vehicle flow.
Hopefully the eventual West Village redevelopment will take care of some of that, just a terrible experience for anyone whether they are in a car or on foot!

CalgaryTiger, a lot of that traffic is people who work and live in the Beltline trying to get to the communities north of the river. The turn from 11ave to 14st usually takes a few light cycles, same with 17Ave to 14St.

Where are these cars coming from?
Where are these cars going?

It's not just useful for destinations between Crowchild and 10 St. It's useful for a chunk of the city between basically Shaganappi and Deerfoot, all the way to the northern city limits. It's a contender for one of the longest crosstown streets, even if we don't count the part south of Glenmore that is not connected to the northern part.

I use it to get to Beddington, for example. More direct than taking Centre Street through downtown, or finding a way on and off Deerfoot. If Iived further west, I guess I could take Crowchild to 24 Ave NW and then use 14th north of there. But that is probably even more out of the way than Deerfoot for me.

The city of Calgary seems to want to dump money into places like 37th SW instead of any street where people might actually walk.

It's absolutely insane that 8th Street SW is still sitting untouched - how many years has it been since it's redevelopment was proposed? 15?

But I'm sure some semi suburban street somewhere that has 20 people a day walking on it is up next.

It's absolutely insane that 8th Street SW is still sitting untouched - how many years has it been since it's redevelopment was proposed? 15?
Long enough that the first masterplan developed for it is now out of date and they need to redo the planning on it:

The city of Calgary seems to want to dump money into places like 37th SW instead of any street where people might actually walk.

But I'm sure some semi suburban street somewhere that has 20 people a day walking on it is up next.
I’ve had similar thoughts when I’ve driven on 37th. Half the Marda Loop Mainstreet (33 Ave bewtween 14 St & 19 St and 34 Ave between 14 St & 18 St) does not qualify for Mainstrrets funding (something to do with minimum density/zoning), yet 37th got the full treatment.

IMG_6703.jpeg
IMG_6704.jpeg

Back