West District | ?m | ?s | Truman

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am updating this first post of this thread to provide a more accurate picture of this overall community development, including a map with project names and status. I have had to remove the pictures of the completed projects, as SRC only lets me post 15 images per post, and there are too many proposals to also include the completed ones. I have put in a Google Streetview link for each finished project.

The official community websites by the developer:
Overall master plan rendering:
1666128831624.png

Map of individual projects, and their status:
1710715243995.png

1. Gateway Condos - Complete

2. West Springs Free Methodist Church - Complete

3. Wilshire Townhomes - Complete

4. Mulberry Apartments - Complete

5. Single Family Homes East Phase - Complete

6. Newberry Condos / Apartments - Complete

7. Parkside Condominiums - Complete
1621365622858-png.320694

8. The Quarters - Under Construction
1660535256893.png

9. Trico West83rd Townhomes - Under Construction
1661202010796.png

10. Oak & Olive - Under Construction
1654025014678.png

11. Medium Format Grocery Store - Under Construction
1654025089404.png

12. The Mondrian - Under Construction
1656991157162.png

13. District Townhomes - Under Construction
1663029253887.png

14. Plaza West District - Under Construction
1666128919464.png

15. Adelaide - Proposed
1674188208403.png

16. Radio Block - Proposed
1674188282076.png

17. West 83rd Townhomes Phase 2 by Trico - Proposed
1678680939515.png

18. SFH West Phase (Trico) - Under Construction

Last edited:
So an application/development that doesn't get discussed a lot is Truman Home's West District. The outline plan is set to go to CPC on December 14th, according to the page on the City's development map. Here is the link:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/LOC2017-0058

From that link, there is some supplemental information on the development, including this piece of information on their proposed "central park". It seems like a very impressive, ambitious project. Would be a massive change to the west end of town:
blob:https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/b6701c13-33b3-4c8e-b192-dfad6be9511a
Really curious to see what happens with this one, that's a massive change from what's there now and I'm sure area residents are going to fight it hard!

So an application/development that doesn't get discussed a lot is Truman Home's West District. The outline plan is set to go to CPC on December 14th, according to the page on the City's development map. Here is the link:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/LOC2017-0058

From that link, there is some supplemental information on the development, including this piece of information on their proposed "central park". It seems like a very impressive, ambitious project. Would be a massive change to the west end of town:
blob:https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/b6701c13-33b3-4c8e-b192-dfad6be9511a
That's an ambitious project. Def game changer for that part of town.

Definitely worth a dedicated thread. My initial thoughts are that it looks good. I like the way it integrates with the surrounding houses and streets, and the scale is good. I like the grid pattern of the streets, and a large park like that is a bonus for sure.

My only gripe is that I would have loved to have seen a main-street with retail...given that the development has grid streets already nicely laid out.

Last edited:
Daaaaaaang! Maybe my fantasy Blue Line that goes up 85th isn't so cracked up after all. Traffic is already getting bad up there, this will only compound that. I mentioned in the general thread the need to get going on the West-Leg of the Ring Road, but man by the look of it they'll have to really get the hop on widening Bow Trail west of Old Banff Coach Road/Strathcona Boulevard, and possibly even upgrade that intersection to an overpass too if that's the kind of development they're looking at for back there.

Definitely worth a dedicated thread. My initial thoughts are that it looks good. I like the way it integrates with the surrounding houses and streets, and the scale is good. I like the grid pattern of the streets, and a large park like that is a bonus for sure.

My only gripe is that I would have loved to have seen a main-street with retail...given that the development has grid streets already nicely laid out.
Thanks for making the dedicated thread. And to address your grip, I am pretty sure the east-west road that connects to 85th street is going to be a retail high street. In fact, I am almost certain that the ground floor of "Gateway", that is currently under construction, contains retail (if I remember the DP correctly).

I can see current residents harbouring resistance to the proposal. However, as someone who lived in the area for 25 years, and has seen many forests turn into subdivisions over the years, I'm far more offended by the horrible ugliness of the community of West Springs as it stands than by this proposal.

I have a few actual concerns with it. First, if it's anything like the rest of West Springs, don't even bother (see below). Second, as stated earlier, where is all the added traffic going to go? The existing infrastructure is already having trouble with what's there. Third, I'm glad they could incorporate some of the original wild land, but I'd love to see more. The whole area used to be forests and fields. It would really be nice to have a natural area of the standard of like Nose Hill, Edworthy or Fish Creek right up on the hill. It wouldn't have to be as humongous as those parks, but don't just turn the hill entirely into sub-urban hell. Three-point-five-ish-ly, most of the the public space their proposing as it stands is pretty sterile. Why is there no soccer field? Why is there only 45% of a basketball court? I fear its going to just be an overwrought modernist wasteland when it's done.

One thing I'd be very keen on is if the larger proposed structures have a mixed-use component. I think it would be great if they had some shops and eateries mixed right into the neighbourhood. I also hope that having such a dense population centre immediately adjacent to 85th will help it in maturing into a more interesting and diverse service centre.

Another plus, the plan appears to include the Sikh Society of Calgary, which has been there since god knows when. Too bad for the West Springs Free Methodist Church, but I imagine they'll probably have made a pretty penny off the real estate once all is said and done. Maybe they can build a nicer looking church with their capital gains. :p I was married at the Saint Michael Roman Catholic Community there, it's nice, it's clean, but man does it feel sub-urban. It really lacks personality. No church should ever be made of Calgary Neighbourhood grade stucco.

Off Topic: Re: The Ugliness of West Springs

I've been considering starting up an Ugly Calgary Architecture Thread over in the Design and Architectural Style sub-forum for some time now. One of my lead offs was going to be the bizarre conjoined cul-de-sac/streets West Cedar Point & West Cedar Rise.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0602256,-114.1964505,18.53z
upload_2017-11-29_15-51-41.png

Not only are the streets odd, but the house are horrid. The finishes are cheap, the proportions are all out of whack and the workmanship is shoddy. It's just putrid. Here are some highlights.

upload_2017-11-29_15-50-51.png

upload_2017-11-29_15-54-24.png

upload_2017-11-29_15-55-18.png

And the Mother of them All:

upload_2017-11-29_15-59-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-29_15-50-51.png
    upload_2017-11-29_15-50-51.png
    788.5 KB · Views: 1,681
  • upload_2017-11-29_15-51-41.png
    upload_2017-11-29_15-51-41.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,829
  • upload_2017-11-29_15-54-24.png
    upload_2017-11-29_15-54-24.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 1,846
  • upload_2017-11-29_15-55-18.png
    upload_2017-11-29_15-55-18.png
    818.2 KB · Views: 1,878
  • upload_2017-11-29_15-59-41.png
    upload_2017-11-29_15-59-41.png
    363.8 KB · Views: 1,840
Last edited:
Thanks for making the dedicated thread. And to address your grip, I am pretty sure the east-west road that connects to 85th street is going to be a retail high street. In fact, I am almost certain that the ground floor of "Gateway", that is currently under construction, contains retail (if I remember the DP correctly).
Good to know. It would be a blown opportunity if they didn't make at least street a high street.

Yikes. Those are definitely some candidates for McMansion Hell.

In terms of the bizarre street design, I can just imagine the conversation that led to it:

Boss: "Wait a minute! Who put this through street here!?! Don't you know cul-de-sacs boost property values! Change it immediately!"

Intern: "Sorry, sir! It was my first day. I'd change the design, but we've already built the street and all the houses."

Boss: "Spare me your excuses! I want cul-de-sacs and I want them now!!!"

Hi Group,
Notice One Item! All Those House are Way to Close to Each Other. If there us a FIRE and It seam a Lot of these Houses are Prone to Fires, Cheaply Blt. Fire Starts MAKE Sure You Have LOTS of FIRE INSURANCE, Fire Starts House on Each Side Go Up as Well. Yours Included if Its a Bad Fire. Just Surprised they can Bld so Clos Together. BAD POLICY/PLANNING. If I was Insuring a Lot, I Would Insure as a High Risk Location. NOT Much Green Space Either from the Looks of Things. Just My Views based in My Experiences an Appraiser from Montreal Years Ago.
Tnx,
Operater.

Hi Again,
Had a Chance to take a 2nd look at this Project, Have to Admit its Huge, Yet Massive in Size. Will there B Changes in Designs etc? Not sure Off Hand. It will B Interesting to watch and See How it Goes. Won't say Yes or No but Yes it will B Most Interesting to Watch.

Tnx,
Operater,

Back