UPTEN | 121.91m | 37s | Strategic Group

CMHC is forecasting vacancy rates to rise. The building is at 25% occupancy with a projected 95% by next summer ... right around the time that Curtis Block will be open. I hope Strategic Group can manage to stay in business until then given their financial predicament.
I don't know what is drawing the target renter to these buildings at the present. The jobs are leaving the CBD at a rapid rate. Those that still have a job and were previously working downtown, may be working from home now. Immigration to Calgary is way down. A lot of inner city attractions/amenities are closed because of the pandemic. What is the attraction to living central now?
I think most people realise that this pandemic is temporary and life will return to normal within a year. And as UW mentioned, there's a lot more to living centrally than being close to work,

Solar panel work is done.

39BA7F5F-1CBF-4439-A561-561191F11069.jpeg

I'm curious how much power all those panels are potentially able to put out. There are 48 alone on that east exposure, I'd hope they can do more than just the trellis lighting. I'd figure those 48 have a max power output of around 15kWp.

I'm curious how much power all those panels are potentially able to put out. There are 48 alone on that east exposure, I'd hope they can do more than just the trellis lighting. I'd figure those 48 have a max power output of around 15kWp.
Could you translate that into a value us non-technical folks can understand? How much can you power with 15kWp?

Could you translate that into a value us non-technical folks can understand? How much can you power with 15kWp?

I'm not a techie at all with this stuff, but a 15kWp installation would put out 15kWh under the best conditions (summer, sunny day). I'd guess that the south facing panels will perform very well, even over the winter and the lower sun since they are up nice and high and will still be able to catch the light.

I'd hope that a system like that up there could take care of a lot of the common area power, I wish Strategic would put out some info on the system and what they hope to get out of it.

I'm not a techie at all with this stuff, but a 15kWp installation would put out 15kWh under the best conditions (summer, sunny day). I'd guess that the south facing panels will perform very well, even over the winter and the lower sun since they are up nice and high and will still be able to catch the light.

I'd hope that a system like that up there could take care of a lot of the common area power, I wish Strategic would put out some info on the system and what they hope to get out of it.
I'm no techie either, but if I understand this properly it means you could run 1000 x 15watt light bulbs for an hour? or maybe not for a hour, but you could run 1000 x 15 watt bulbs at the same time when it's at its peak?

Yeah I even emailed Strategic for their info on the solar panels for my massive research paper last semester, didn't get a response.

I'm no techie either, but if I understand this properly it means you could run 1000 x 15watt light bulbs for an hour? or maybe not for a hour, but you could run 1000 x 15 watt bulbs at the same time when it's at its peak?
You might not be a techie, but you're absolutely correct. 15kWh, means essentially consumption of 1000, 15 watt bulbs over an hour. 15kWp (as mentioned by Nimbus) means that the solar panel array can produce that same amount of power in peak situations. The peak period might only be a few hours depending on the types of panels, but of course usually the solar power goes to a battery backup system. 15kWp is actually pretty decent. with today's led bulbs you could probably power all hallway and stairway lights and maybe some extra, all day, and even on off peak periods.

Back