University District | ?m | ?s | University of Calgary Properties Group

The UD construction year-end review (here) gives an idea of what is likely going to begin construction in 2024. Blocks 2, 9, 17C, and 21 on the map:

Another portion of Varsity Courts is scheduled for demolition as well. I wonder if they're getting ready to extend Kovitz Ave? I'd love to see Warren St connected to 37 St to open up bicycle connections to Brentwood LRT and the neighborhoods to the north, but that probably won't happen until Varsity Courts is fully demolished (2026+ according to this).
I'm wondering if they are considering extending Kovitz through to the eastern side where Varsity Courts were. I'm certain U/D has realized their screw up with the lack of a bike lane (I've seen it mentioned to them several times on social media) and have to decide if they want to redo the avenue or put in at at Kovitz that goes through to the eastern side. I know there are/were plans to put a bike lane on Kovitz, but unless crosses 39th street, it's a completed waste of time.

I'm wondering if they are considering extending Kovitz through to the eastern side where Varsity Courts were. I'm certain U/D has realized their screw up with the lack of a bike lane (I've seen it mentioned to them several times on social media) and have to decide if they want to redo the avenue or put in at at Kovitz that goes through to the eastern side. I know there are/were plans to put a bike lane on Kovitz, but unless crosses 39th street, it's a completed waste of time.
In my mind, any future bike lanes should ultimately connect to the University, the two hospitals, and Brentwood station (Market Mall would be a bonus too). There's already a bike lane on 37 St, so hopefully they extend that on to Warren St, which could then connect to a lane leading to the University and a lane on 24 Ave, if the City decides to extend the one in Capital Hill/Banff Trail across Crowchild. A lane on Warren St could also connect to a lane on 32 Ave, which I think I saw in the University Innovation Quarter preliminary plans.

Anyways, that's my wishful thinking for the day haha.

I just saw an ad for University District with seniors in it what you should be advertising students to come here we are in the middle of building a college town and your advertising the people other than students, so what’s the point?

Hey, seniors are people too! I know a lot of seniors specifically like being in younger, college-type neighbourhoods and towns, as they tend to be more affordable/walkable, and they like the energy. If you're done raising kids and/or are retired, you probably have a lot more time on your hands, and maybe want to be in a more sociable setting (loneliness can be a big issue at that age). Add in the fact that boomer seniors actually have some money to buy property (compared to your average college student), and the area is close to medical facilities, I'm not surprised there are targeting them as part of their mix. A little inter-generational mixing wouldn't hurt the college kids either.

Last edited:
I just saw an ad for University District with seniors in it what you should be advertising students to come here we are in the middle of building a college town and your advertising the people other than students, so what’s the point?
Seniors also have a ton more money and equity so might be a necessity to get the projects actually built. Keep in mind, many of the seniors may not actually live there but invest there for the explicit intention of having a place they like but their kids or grandkids can use to go to university. Fast forward 20 or 30 years as the buildings depreciate a bit and you'll start seeing more of the students.

Plus - seniors, families and students mostly all want the same things: a convenient location to where they go and what they value (parks, hospitals, schools, jobs) and some amenities and retail to go with it. University District checks those boxes for multiple demographics, and is a success so far as a result.

There are many medical facilities in U/D as well, which might appeal to seniors. For example, my eye doctor's office has moved from the Southern Alberta Eye Centre around Chinook to the Central Block in U/D. In addition, I think they have senior homes in U/D as well.

It would be silly to not accommodate for an aging population, especially so close to the main hospital and shopping mall in the area. Seniors housing is booming in this country, smart developers are cashing in.

There's a senior living facility at U/D and Brookfield's Capella was marketed as an "estate condo". They had units that were 1000+ sq ft and buildings with only 2/4 units per floor. The marketing material was definitely targeted towards downsizers with prices to match.

Why can’t they put some sort of outdoor Walkable urban area like the ones you see in Washington DC I know there is one, but it’s very small and it isn’t really doing enough Sure it’s gets cold, but the Netherlands is doing it

Why can’t they put some sort of outdoor Walkable urban area like the ones you see in Washington DC I know there is one, but it’s very small and it isn’t really doing enough Sure it’s gets cold, but the Netherlands is doing it
Which examples for DC or the Netherlands are you talking about?

Some construction updates here.

Included is a map of the various projects, showing that there should be four more projects which begin construction this year. Autumn may have been delayed a bit with all the snow lately (unless the Mar 2024 start date is just a typo).

1712265600623.png

The 22B/C blocks are labeled as "Unnamed Project by Gracorp". It looks like there is a bit of info about this project on Gracorp's website now: https://gracorp.com/2024/02/block-22/. Interestingly, the plan is to bridge a single 330 unit building over the road that's currently there between the two blocks. The height will step down towards the park. I assume this will be a rental building.

1712266121223.png

1712266386910.png

Back