News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Transit

Thats exactly what I was thinking, Stampede Park is a very centralized location and is the hub for entertainment in the city, not to mention it's visited by tens of thousand of tourists per year. The station should be more notable, stampede themed perhaps, and have minimal impacts to vehicle traffic and pedestrian traffic. The design could be a 100x's better.

The MyFare app seems to be working well.

If this from 2010 is indicative of current use:
1601482948620.png

And you take 'ticket' to mean cash + tickets, just short of 10% of all users are using the MyFare app. A great success for the minimal investment.

Definitely a huge improvement. It'd be nice to have it better integrated with the neighboring Stampede buildings, but I'll take the win from just having a station that doesn';t look like an above ground bunker.
This is a 100x better than what is currently there. You can only do so much when designing an at grade LRT station in my opinionView attachment 273438

Here is another rendering from the presentation this afternoon to CPC:
View attachment 273407
I like it and 100x better than what's there.

My only thought is that we have yet another project that strays into the Calgary-motif of let's-have-random-angles-and-curves-in-all-our-designs-and-rooflines (e.g. MAX BRT shelters, most newer LRT stations, all new recreation centres, BMO centres, National Music Centres, I can only assume the new stadium will too etc.) I don't necessarily disagree with the style - and we have some really beautiful examples of this style - but we've done it to death and often to little practical benefit. I don't really understand why we lean so hard into curvy-but-also-pointy style like 90% of the time. I wonder what the maintenance regime and lifespan of all these pointy-curvy examples are compared to something more simple?

Compared to many cities that just mostly do clean boxes, flat or straight roofs and minimalist designs for their public or transit infrastructure:

Montreal's REM:
1601583074069.png

Edmonton's LRT:
1601583165390.png

Toronto's Eglington Crosstown
1601583266766.png

Vancouver Skytrain:
1601583334950.png

Ottawa O-Train
1601583520648.png

This new design looks not bad although I'm surprised that there is only access to the platforms from the ends. In the effort to open things up you'd think they would have a few access points along the length of the station.

This new design looks not bad although I'm surprised that there is only access to the platforms from the ends. In the effort to open things up you'd think they would have a few access points along the length of the station.
I’m pretty sure it’s because the ends match up with the new crosswalks planned at 14 ave and south of 15 Ave. It should lower the temptation for jaywalking across Macleod since you’d have to walk to an end anyways.

Going through the Stampede grounds yesterday I see that Weadickville has been fenced off and there are three large dumpsters on site so that will be demoed shortly. It also looks like the utility work on the north end of the station is complete and there is a drill rig on site so the new temporary platform will start taking shape this winter.

Edit: After having a proper read through of the plans I see the rig is for the new utility complex, the current platform will be used in various configurations during construction to facilitate loading and unloading.

Last edited:
Both platforms have a midpoint access ramp, sloping from the middle of the platform down to the north end.

Had a walk through the Stampede grounds yesterday, 3/4 of Weadickville has been removed, oddly there are two buildings not currently fenced off it seems kind of odd to have one or two remain standing as they would be very cut off from flow of foot traffic during stampede with the way the fencing currently sits.
20201111_152443.jpg

The drilling for the utility complex on the north end of the station is complete and the girders for the elbow river crossing are being installed for the third line.
20201111_152740.jpg20201111_151015.jpg20201111_151213.jpg

Looks like there are three left plus the rotary house. The three remaining currently are the meat market, the brown log cabin beside it which was originally the Stampede post office and the North West Mounted Police barracks beside that. The barracks was apparently moved from Morley in 1935.

I wonder if those ones will be moved somewhere else on the grounds instead of being torn down due to their status. You could probably leave them where they are and still be able to realign the tracks for the 17th Ave crossing but Weadickville doesn't exist in the long term plans for the park and the rotary house is slated to eventually be moved/rebuilt over in Enmax Park. No idea on the timeline for all of that though.

Edit: It looks like the Quirk Cabin hasn't been touched either though it is within the fenced off area.

Last edited:
An interesting report goes to the Transportation and Transit committee meeting of Council next week, the Route Ahead Prioritization of Future Capital Projects, TT2020-1289. Item 7.3 on the agenda.

Full agenda here: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings...82a6c2b00d&Agenda=Agenda&lang=English&Item=20

This is the development of a scoring system for the City's planned major LRT extensions and BRT routes, and ranking them based on available information (defined benefits, estimated costs, etc..) to determine which should be funded next. Attachment 2 has the report and rankings:

The list/ranking is here:
1605298097277.png

This snippet, from page 4, shows why some projects may not be listed:
1605298219423.png

Back