News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Transit

Has anyone else thought about the idea of expanding the free-fare zone to encourage density building? For example, if one worked in downtown and wanted to live in the west Beltline - they could always hop on the train from downtown / west kerby and get to work - completely free. If one wanted to live in Hillhurst/Sunnyside, however, they would need to add a $103 transit pass to their monthly costs (assuming they didn't want to risk getting caught by transit officers every day).

If the LRT 'free-fare' zone was expanded, it may encourage additional TOD near those stops as it would make it cheaper for people to live in those areas and 'equalize' the equation. It would also spread out our density building from high rises in the core and row homes / SFH infills to potentially more mid-rises along the train lines.

Nah - at least not until there is excess capacity during rush. Otherwise you are replacing a paying long distance commuter with a non-paying short distance commuter.

One that annoys me is although the Green line is planned to be a single route from north central Calgary to the south east, the "BRT"s which mimic the route are two separate routes, the 301 and 302. Why can't a single BRT route follow the whole future Green Line? I understand that the north is likely busier, but just have every 2nd 301 short-turn in the downtown. Also full disclosure, I live in the North Hill and work in Inglewood so it would definitely be to my benefit :)

One that annoys me is although the Green line is planned to be a single route from north central Calgary to the south east, the "BRT"s which mimic the route are two separate routes, the 301 and 302. Why can't a single BRT route follow the whole future Green Line? I understand that the north is likely busier, but just have every 2nd 301 short-turn in the downtown. Also full disclosure, I live in the North Hill and work in Inglewood so it would definitely be to my benefit :)
Long routes are the bane of schedulers. As are ones going into congested mixed traffic. A combined BRT would have both. Just have to look at the difficulties with the MAX rollout to see that. Even #3 has been cut down a bit. A combined route would also need a rigurously timed stop downtown, including enforced stops to prevent bunching, which might just take as long or longer than your transfer currently does.

What are the frequencies like at the transfer point for you? 10 minutes would mean randomness will have you transferring at an average of 5 minutes each trip - just enough time to make the 2 block walk.

Is that probably the same rationale as to why the MAX Purple didn't extend west into Bowness / COP the way the 305 did/does?

Swbrt:
20190409_173241.jpg
20190409_173318.jpg

Back