The Vibe | 22m | 6s | CivicWorks | Claroscuro

I know you're joking, but I'll take it. It's actual
TOD, directly across the (not overly wide) street from a train station (arguably the least obtrusive and most pedestrian friendly one in the city). I think it's replacing two or four 1950s bungalows.

What materials would you like to see that are in the same price bracket as Hardie panels?
For me it's the easy trim. It's not the same price bracket, but having some brick on the main façade and hardie panels without the easy trim (like Archer) goes a long way, and probably wouldn't break the bank. That said, I'm okay with it and would still take this over what's there any day. I've always been a function over form person unless it's really bad.

7C07D0B2-D0E8-4C55-899D-1979ABE7BC4F.jpeg

Source @Alex_YYC

I know you're joking, but I'll take it. It's actual
TOD, directly across the (not overly wide) street from a train station (arguably the least obtrusive and most pedestrian friendly one in the city). I think it's replacing two or four 1950s bungalows.
Totally! The density is great! But as Calgcouver mentioned, I’m getting a bit tired of the cheap materials that are being selected as the default for these mid-rise developments.

I would prefer Hardie Shingle and Lap siding, deployed well. Even hardie panel with a cheaper hardie or wood-like batten (colour matched) I’d prefer. And it would be cheaper.
Very interesting. Do you have any photos of examples you can share? Relative to tower developers, I think low-rise wood-frame developers have a much harder time making their projects look nice, due to budget constraints.

Very interesting. Do you have any photos of examples you can share? Relative to tower developers, I think low-rise wood-frame developers have a much harder time making their projects look nice, due to budget constraints.
Here are some streetview locations of some low-rise wood-frame apartments that avoid the over-use of hardie panel and easy trim reveals, but aren't slathered in lots and lots of (more expensive) brick:

Here are some pics:
2022_05_11_07_21_12_moody_yards_exterior_1.webp

2023_02_02_01_31_56_norm-li_221215_ext_hero_vf_02.webp

portwood-umbra-courtyard.jpeg

fremont-750x500.jpg

Moody-Yards-MY-Backyard-3840x2560.jpg

And for Calgary, i really like what Avi is doing with the new Autumn design:
1683210107888-png.474116

1683385968758-png.474718

Hardie panel and Easy Trim reveals as far as the eye can see. So tired of this being the default. Scale is good, but this type of apartment design particularly the material choices is becoming so standardized, these are starting to be as ubiquitous and placeless in NA as a McMansion.
Unfortunately it's the most economical and thus the default. I imagine the more expensive the area, the better the materials, but for places not in the centre of the city, this will be the go to choice.

Here are some streetview locations of some low-rise wood-frame apartments that avoid the over-use of hardie panel and easy trim reveals, but aren't slathered in lots and lots of (more expensive) brick:

Here are some pics:

2023_02_02_01_31_56_norm-li_221215_ext_hero_vf_02.webp

portwood-umbra-courtyard.jpeg
What is this project? Any details?

What is this project? Any details?

Here you go. First phase of the Portwood project in Port Moody by Edgar.

Not a fan of that street interaction. I get there is a grade change across the site, but the big concrete planters will just look hostile.
I think they can work well in certain cities/climates (Vancouver as an example), but I rarely see building owners in Calgary take pride in keeping these types of planters maintained.

Back