The Vibe | 22m | 6s | CivicWorks | Claroscuro

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
An engagement website has gone up for a land use redesignation (no DP yet) for a new project just across from the 45th Street C-Train Station in Glendale.
Land Use Application

From the website, and the downloadable application brief, it states that there will be 102 units, and there is some massing diagrams:
1681770952718.png

Lots more information on the website.

Nice. I was wondering when something like that would be built there. 45th has possibly the most seamless neighbourhood access of any station. There aren't huge roads or parking lots, or even a crossing gate.

I hope it's not an uphill battle, though. Glendale doesn't even have infills, just detached SFH as far as I can tell.

Nice. I was wondering when something like that would be built there. 45th has possibly the most seamless neighbourhood access of any station. There aren't huge roads or parking lots, or even a crossing gate.

I hope it's not an uphill battle, though. Glendale doesn't even have infills, just detached SFH as far as I can tell.
It's even got covered bike racks!

1681783219199.png

Attachments

• 1681783187126.png
    1681783187126.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42

I hope in consideration of a TOD, The City streamlines over any local resistance. 6 Stories is nothing too crazy next to a LRT station.

Next thing to go should be the AMA. what an ironic land use directly beside an LRT station lol
Every AMA office in the city is within 1 km of an LRT station:
Crowfoot - 900m
Shawnessy - 600m from one, 700m from another
Sunridge - 350m
Willow Park - 300m
Main (45th St SW) - 50m

I think this is more a condemnation of our TOD policies than anything the AMA is doing wrong.

People still use AMA? I found they were far and away the most expensive for insurance.
I do, but mainly because it was a pain trying to find home insurance that was reasonable or even places that had home insurance at all. I haven't checked recently, but probably should.

Willow Park - 300m
I think 300m from Anderson Station would just get you across Macleod, not all the way to AMA.

Most of those kind of make sense to me, because the outer stations of the red line (along Crowchild in the NW, and Macleod in the S) are all right next to big parking lots and big box shopping. We have a long ways to go there.

The 45th street AMA was of course there before the west blue line was put in. I think it's actually a good thing it's there because it's much easier to replace a low-rise commercial building and parking lot with TOD than to replace a bunch of SFH.

Just poking around on the Architect's website, and I found this image.
View attachment 475821
Hardie panel and Easy Trim reveals as far as the eye can see. So tired of this being the default. Scale is good, but this type of apartment design particularly the material choices is becoming so standardized, these are starting to be as ubiquitous and placeless in NA as a McMansion.

Hardie panel and Easy Trim reveals as far as the eye can see. So tired of this being the default. Scale is good, but this type of apartment design particularly the material choices is becoming so standardized, these are starting to be as ubiquitous and placeless in NA as a McMansion.
What materials would you like to see that are in the same price bracket as Hardie panels?

Back