The Sentinel | 24m | 6s | Arlington Street | Jackson McCormick

Density is fine and interior courtyard/townhome style looks good.

Ground floor needs some work though - another weird one with those random steps up to retail on two main pedestrian corridors. 14th and 17th Avenue corner is way undersized for pedestrians too.

random steps up to retail on two main pedestrian corridors.
Looks like the steps up are required because the west side of the development requires steps down. I assume the dev prefers steps from the sidewalk versus actually working the building into the slight hill.

Edit: It does look like Truman stole and copied Sarina's homework.

Yeah the site slopes in both directions, so they need the steps. They could step the main floor slab, but that would limit the CRU spaces to their respective floor levels. Stepping the slab would also add a lot of cost to the structure. Most sites in the Beltline have flood plain issues that set the floor level, this one is likely safe from that at least.

Yeah the site slopes in both directions, so they need the steps. They could step the main floor slab, but that would limit the CRU spaces to their respective floor levels. Stepping the slab would also add a lot of cost to the structure. Most sites in the Beltline have flood plain issues that set the floor level, this one is likely safe from that at least.
I appreciate what you are saying - but 14th side is flat, most of 16th Ave and there's only a metre or two of grade on the 17th Avenue side. Plus the whole thing is 3 separate buildings so there's opportunity here to align to the lower, flat side to the east rather than the slightly higher side to the west.

1694795304316.png

Building on the east side is entirely flat and has at-grade retail today with no issues. It may seem like a minor thing, but adding steps here is a permanent accessibility barrier that makes it just a bit more difficult forever.

But take your point there are cost and design trade-offs to make what I am saying possible.

What a disappointing downgrade. The intersection of 17th Ave and 14th St should be receiving much better ground oriented treatment than a building that looks like it belongs in Tuxedo Park. The steps and planters block the retail from the street. What a miss, especially considering we were originally looking at a 28 story proposal.

Wow, what a shame :( Not only do we lose a lot of density/homes from the absence of a tower but I was looking forward to a highrise extending westward along 17th Ave. I kind of already assumed that ASI wasn't capable of executing a tower yet, so I was expecting them to hold off on developing this site for later on but it looks like now they've just chosen to dumb it down. The ground floor treatment, particularly the intersection is absolute garbage. What a disgrace for a prominent high street.

Will be allowed in the next building code cycle I believe, currently we are limited to 6 storey. Apart from that, it has to be economicaly viable to build, no idea about that part.
When is the next cycle? I thought the government already gave it the go ahead a few years ago.

Back