The Isaac on 9th | 22m | 6s | M2SC

I find both decent enough from a design perspective. Having said that, the block of 9th Ave between 9th and 10th streets is my least favourite in the neighbourhood to walk down (which I do most days). Between these two and and the building across the street (the one with Esker, Lina's etc), you get the windy and loud canyon effect, and it's always relatively dark due to sun blockage. I know what used to be there wasn't particularly great, and these buildings check many urbanism boxes, and "density yada yada", but it's just not a particularly pleasant place to be in the middle of...kinda reminds of being downtown amongst the skyscrapers. Dense, but kinda cold and sterile compared to the human-scaled buildings in the rest of the neighbourhood. I think I'm just not a fan of these large half/full block developments.

Last edited:
Getting back to the Isaac. Speaking of the earlier conversation about cornices and ornamentation and such... I did notice the Merlin Block today, which according to my keen powers of deduction is a 2003 build.
I think it's a pretty decent execution at a more traditional design integrating into the neighbourhood. Perhaps not with the same level of craft of the old stuff, but if this is what we'd get with the Isaac, I'd take it.

IMG_5327.jpg

>South Block is owned by Opus

No, It's managed by opus. The capital comes from elsewhere, and returns elsewhere.

But do go on. Not trying to doxx myself.

I prefer Avli myself, even though Southbank turned out very well. It's a personal choice based on Avli being more unique, which in many ways lends itself better to Inglewood. Southbank is very solid, but also quite conservative.
Yeah, I prefer Avli as well. South Bank is well executed using a formula to deliver a good product, but Avli is more noticeable as they took more chances in the design. I like that Avli went with stainless steel tiles, and not just standard materials.

>South Block is owned by Opus

No, It's managed by opus. The capital comes from elsewhere, and returns elsewhere.

But do go on. Not trying to doxx myself.
I stand corrected on Southbank, as I don't know the history of who was behind it, and if the people behind it had Inglewood's interests then that's great, all the power to them.

AVLI is basically funded by a big corp, REIT money kind of thing, pretty sure it's just a line on a spreadsheet for the capital behind it.

So I think the difference in final product is also a difference in values and value engineering. I.e. not apples to apples.
I disagree with the notion that Avli's design is due to a REIT who doesn't care about Inglewood, that's more what mu original point was about. The owners of the parcel, the Stathonikos family had run their business there for 3 decades, and developed the land with the idea of building something nice for Inglewood. They were part of the project throughout the design and construction, and they chose a local Inglewood designer to do the interior work and local architect Jeremy Sturgess to do the main building design. They asked for something that stood out and wasn't run of the mill. Whether one likes the design or not, the design isn't the way is because it was developed by some REIT who wanted to add a line to the spreadsheet.

As I mentioned before, I personally prefer Avli. I like it because they took a chance on something unique. Something you don't see much these days.

M2SC is only flipping this site, no intention of building. How many LOCs have we seen now in Inglewood that get approved for land flippers?

Interesting, there was an equity crowdfunding done on this project. Perhaps it was done for a cash infusion to cover carrying costs. I guess the investors may get paid out earlier than expected.

Back