The Hub | ?m | 28s | Campus Suites | ARK Inc.

General Rating for this project

• Great

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Very Good

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Good

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • So So

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Terrible

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
Lol. I’d say this forum is very open minded and embraces new ideas. While this building is indeed “thought provoking”, the thoughts it’s provoking are mostly negative. And what’s with pointing out the Eiffel Tower as a defense. It’s a hunk of junk. In my sole opinion, of course.

A window a few feet over from the floor below makes each room different from the next? But does it make them better, or just different? As a resident would you ever notice the difference, or care? Do the residents chat with each other about it while playing Fortnite and give each other badges for best room?

Cool video. You should try and get Mckimmie tower and the Cancer centre also. I’d like to see what the atrium at the Cancer Centre looks like from above.
The new drone rules are way more flexible, but the videos downtown including the West Village, and of the Hub are likely in violation of federal rules unless our friend looked into it far more than I would expect most people to do. That being said, not being reckless, and flying proximate to buildings without getting much higher than them, I can't see much risk of enforcement. Edit: launching a drone on one of the central quads would likely lead to a quick visit by campus security.

No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system under this Division if the aircraft is within three nautical miles from the centre of an airport or within one nautical mile from the centre of a heliport unless the operation is conducted in accordance with the established procedure with respect to the use of remotely piloted aircraft systems applicable to that airport or heliport.

1596646794220.png

Last edited:
If they had tried to be even more random, I think it would be more interesting. As it stands, even from across the valley in Strathcona, it looks wrong. Violating our internal rules for aesthetics - if you're going to do it, you have to do it enough to force the brain to not try to fix it imo. This building is in the uncanny valley of that spectrum, and I suspect will always be slightly unsettling, and never settle into an experimental violation of norms.

i’d love to do a drone run at the cancer center, but stars has a helipad right beside it. no can do.
Cool video. You should try and get Mckimmie tower and the Cancer centre also. I’d like to see what the atrium at the Cancer Centre looks like from above.

Bingo. Most of the time it's not going to be an issue. The laws need to be established and defined for cases where people are being reckless. Especially flying them near the airport. I see lots of people flying drones around Crescent Hill and East Village and other places that would fall into the radius of the Eau Claire heliport, but they are generally flying them in close proximity and not doing anything reckless.
The new drone rules are way more flexible, but the videos downtown including the West Village, and of the Hub are likely in violation of federal rules unless our friend looked into it far more than I would expect most people to do. That being said, not being reckless, and flying proximate to buildings without getting much higher than them, I can't see much risk of enforcement. Edit: launching a drone on one of the central quads would likely lead to a quick visit by campus security.

I've finished my Hub recreation in Minecraft! Thought I'd show y'all before posting it to PMC/Reddit.

Took me about 2 weeks to make & I had to create custom spandrel and glazing textures for the podium. I also built the Mcdonald's next to it, which is on an angle.

Anyways, that's all for now. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

2020-08-20_00.11.18.png
2020-08-20_00.13.03.png
2020-08-20_00.15.36.png

2020-08-20_00.14.23.png

2020-08-20_00.19.20.png

More Images + descriptions here:
Edit: PMC link with a little writeup on the project https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/the-hub-student-housing-calgary/

Last edited:

Back