The Hub | ?m | 28s | Campus Suites | ARK Inc.

General Rating for this project

• Great

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Very Good

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Good

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • So So

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Terrible

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
I'm guessing it'll be basic gray spandrel and glass. Maestro summed it best 'Privately funded student residences are the lowest of the lows in architecture' I don't see this receiving a Pritzker prize anytime soon, but it will serve a purpose. Aside from extra student housing, it will help kickstart the whole Banff Trail TOD.

Image11.jpg
Image10.jpg
Image9.jpg

Attachments

• Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 589
  • Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 596
  • Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 962
While details are scarce, I am not optimistic. It reeks of terrible auto-oriented nonsense (i.e. more of the same for Banff Trail motel village). Student housing is a great opportunity to pump some vibrancy and create a walkable node. This clearly wastes that opportunity.

Hmmm, very uninspired design, but in the grand scheme of things not too bad for that location. I have a feeling this is one of those where the final product will be better than the rendering.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Either way though, I'm just looking forward for another tall tower outside of the downtown core. From certain angles it might even bridge the SAIT and U of C skylines.

I'm guessing it'll be basic gray spandrel and glass. Maestro summed it best 'Privately funded student residences are the lowest of the lows in architecture' I don't see this receiving a Pritzker prize anytime soon, but it will serve a purpose. Aside from extra student housing, it will help kickstart the whole Banff Trail TOD.

Hope so. It's going to be a tower that needs to be hidden behind other towers. A lower form wouldn't stand out as much.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Either way though, I'm just looking forward for another tall tower outside of the downtown core. From certain angles it might even bridge the SAIT and U of C skylines.
Houston has plenty of tall buildings out of the downtown core and it is hardly considered a model for good urban form or vibrancy-inducing design. Height in itself is a poor criteria.

It's all about use, location and street interface. Height is useful in the sense it gets you more "use" (i.e. density). But if you don't interface that density properly, or choose a location that is inappropriate, you've wasted a lot of potential. In this case, the location is perfect in a macro, top-down, plan view sense for student housing. However, that's ignoring some real problems.

The site is 1.6km from SAIT, 1.2 km from U of C. Not particularly far, but imagine walking to them. SAIT would be a rough 20minutes along the noisy, dirty 16th Avenue complete with a sound wall for a third of the journey. U of C is even worse as there is no direct connection. My guess the quickest walk would be over the McMahon ped overpass and through the parking lots to University Drive. Do-able sure, but long, boring and unpleasant. Forget bicycling, as the connections are non-existent. Repeat this exercise of how you would walk to places for all your other daily needs (groceries, bars, entertainment etc.) For being centrally located, it's one of the worst areas in the northwest for any of those things. Transit connection are slightly better, but again there are problems. First it still is 350m walking distance to the Banff Trail station. Second, that's assuming you are taking the alley. Again, do-able, but unpleasant and unattractive. It is not hard to see many students feeling uncomfortable and unsafe with such options walking, cycling or transit.

What you end up with is creating more of the same: auto-oriented students, driving from Banff Trail to SAIT and U of C. Sure it's better that they drive from here than Skyview Ranch, but it's hardly what you want if the goal is a more vibrant and urban future for the area.

Of course, most of these connectivity issues are not the development's fault or responsibility. However, their design clearly leans into it and propagates another boring, unattractive main-level, with little to indicate that it will integrate well at all with a more urban future of the motel village. Even if the whole area redevelops amazingly with attractive designs and pedestrian-orientation, this building will be an odd one out, with no pedestrian interface, surface parking and poor orientation to its surroundings.

TL/DR: I am ok with the height, but the area's terrible connectivity combined with the poor street-level design makes this a big missed opportunity.

While the design of the building isn't architecturally stunning, I don't believe it will create more auto-oriented students. There's limited parking at the building ....not much more than is there right now with the motel (which is 100% auto-oriented), and also students will have to pay extra for it. There is also the issue of parking at SAIT or UofC, which the students would also have to pay for. You can easily go to two Safeways and a COOP within two strain stops.
It seems to me the easiest way to get to school or go grocery shopping is by via train. As for walking to the train station, the lane-way that's there right now is awful, but it will be changed. It looks like it will become a single lane roadway, and also there is a pedestrian corridor that will go at least up to the VPI. If the city can clean up the lane-way from VPI onward, pedestrian traffic to the station should be okay.

I think many are concerned about creating a vibrant area in and around Motel Village, but to be honest, I think it's kind of a lost cause. The city made sure of that years ago when they put in Crowchild, 16th,and the LRT. What can be done with Motel Village is extremely limited.

The rendering is terribly done. What is the source of it? Not only does the perspective seem off to me, but it is completely out of scale. It shows the tower placed where the existing Village Park Inn is, when that is clearly not part of the redevelopment plans:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2016-4219
Straight from the architect. Yeah, that angle could have been done much better IMO. When I first saw it, I thought they were taking out the VPI.

While the design of the building isn't architecturally stunning, I don't believe it will create more auto-oriented students. There's limited parking at the building ....not much more than is there right now with the motel (which is 100% auto-oriented), and also students will have to pay extra for it. There is also the issue of parking at SAIT or UofC, which the students would also have to pay for. You can easily go to two Safeways and a COOP within two strain stops.
It seems to me the easiest way to get to school or go grocery shopping is by via train. As for walking to the train station, the lane-way that's there right now is awful, but it will be changed. It looks like it will become a single lane roadway, and also there is a pedestrian corridor that will go at least up to the VPI. If the city can clean up the lane-way from VPI onward, pedestrian traffic to the station should be okay.

I think many are concerned about creating a vibrant area in and around Motel Village, but to be honest, I think it's kind of a lost cause. The city made sure of that years ago when they put in Crowchild, 16th,and the LRT. What can be done with Motel Village is extremely limited.

If the city was smart they would take the existing alley way/lane-way and make it a nice wide pedestrian corridor that continues all the way to the train station. Forget about putting in another road.

"Opponents of the project have expressed concerns about increased vehicular traffic, but given the transportation choices of students, who are heavy transit users, the development isn't expected to exacerbate congestion in the area. The building will also replace a motel, whose customers typically arrive by vehicle."

Come - replacing a 30 unit motel with a 328 unit building - sorry the developer and city counsel are living in bizzaro world if you think that everyone who lives in this 28 story building will not have at least 1 of not 2 cars - or average at least 1 per unit.......traffic nightmare!

Why 28 stories? The two buildings at North Mall are 10 stories. The three buildings in Brentwood north of the UofC are 20 stories high. That proposed 28 story building will look out of place and be an eyesore for the community.

A) It probably won't be out of place for that long. There's a 40 story building proposed for Brentwood. And I bet once this once gets built it'll open the door for further redevelopment of motel village. Doesn't change the fact that it's ugly though.

B) I'm sure there will be more cars, but considering it's proximity to Banff Trail station, I doubt it'll add that much load at peak time. I'm certainly no student, but if I lived there, I wouldn't bother driving into the core.

"Opponents of the project have expressed concerns about increased vehicular traffic, but given the transportation choices of students, who are heavy transit users, the development isn't expected to exacerbate congestion in the area. The building will also replace a motel, whose customers typically arrive by vehicle."

Come - replacing a 30 unit motel with a 328 unit building - sorry the developer and city counsel are living in bizzaro world if you think that everyone who lives in this 28 story building will not have at least 1 of not 2 cars - or average at least 1 per unit.......traffic nightmare!
Parking on campus is at least $7 a day at UCalgary, $11 at SAIT. ($90 monthly at UCalgary if you are lucky with a waiting list, $165 at SAIT)

And who is this making traffic worse for? It is entirely isolated from the Banff Trail community road network. 16th Ave there has flows of 50,000, Crowchild 73,000, and Banff Trail itself of 8,000.

None of those are near capacity, and the Crowchild Trail changes are even further isolating the block, replacing the movement onto Banff Trail onto a service road basket weave.

I live in the community, 4 minute walk from University Station and 8 minute walk from Banff Trail Station, and I think this project is going to be a great addition to the community :) It is a TOD if there ever was one. Also, we haven't even seen what the parking availability will be in this building yet, but I'm certain it won't even be one per unit, let alone two. Be realistic.

Back