The Guardian | 147m | 44s | Hon | IBI Group

What is CMLC waiting for? Some bum to burn it down? They better get on it quick before it becomes unsalvagable.

What is CMLC waiting for? Some bum to burn it down? They better get on it quick before it becomes unsalvagable.

At this point? Yes, pretty much. While I was initially hopeful when I heard that CMLC had acquired the site I was disappointed to see that they decided not to make restoring the Enoch Sales house one of their capital funding priorities. According to their latest annual report all of the CRL funding is now spoken for and this project isn't on the list. The only hopes for this place ever being restored is now special funding from the City of Calgary (unlikely given the austerity 4 year budget we're about to get), having the CRL extended for another 10 year term (still unlikely given the other competing priorities for that funding) or having a private developer contribute funds as part of a development deal with the CMLC or City of Calgary (also unlikely). In other words I think this place is sadly doomed.

The exterior of the Enoch House is pretty dilapidated and an eyesore. This weekend it's image was improved somewhat as it was covered in balloons for Beakerhead.
I could not even guess how much it would cost to restore it now, or who would be interested in making that investment. And for what?? Apart from being an old house, it has no historical significance that I am aware of.

Interestingly i recall hearing enoch sales house was to be incorporated into a hotel development as a separate amenity/restaurant type building a few years back. Hotel pulled out from what i recall.
There was lots of talk about that house when they did those renos to that park a few years ago, I thought it was getting restored as part of that park, but nothing happened. Maybe the city was trying to get Mariott to pay for it, and when they pulled out, the reno died along with the hotel.

There was lots of talk about that house when they did those renos to that park a few years ago, I thought it was getting restored as part of that park, but nothing happened. Maybe the city was trying to get Mariott to pay for it, and when they pulled out, the reno died along with the hotel.
Yes. The house was part of the city park plan that was eventually developed right next to it. I remember seeing a rendering of the park with the house converted to a restaurant/pub. I am sure the idea was canned when it was discovered how much it was going to cost to restore the house, and no private investor was willing to incur the cost. May as well build a new restaurant somewhere else.

DSC_4563.JPG
DSC_4563a.jpg
DSC_4565.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_4563.JPG
    DSC_4563.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 1,349
  • DSC_4563a.jpg
    DSC_4563a.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,051
  • DSC_4565.JPG
    DSC_4565.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 1,449
Is that an infinity pool and hot tub on the roof? Had heard that the penthouses on each tower were going to have them (for the Hon brothers).
Sure looks like it is. The views would be awesome, but it would be kinda cool up there most days.

Just read an article in Condo Living on this project. Developer is saying that the North Tower is 'all but sold' and the South Tower is 60% sold. The South Tower was finished a year ago. That is a lot of unsold units a year later. Tells you that the condo market in the inner city is still very depressed.

Just read an article in Condo Living on this project. Developer is saying that the North Tower is 'all but sold' and the South Tower is 60% sold. The South Tower was finished a year ago. That is a lot of unsold units a year later. Tells you that the condo market in the inner city is still very depressed.

It's also objectively not a good building and a long sales process + bad news = poor sales

It's been a slow go at selling units in the south tower, but on the flip side, at least they are selling. A year and a half ago (April 2017) there were only 38 units sold in the south tower.... about 12% Getting it up to 60% is at least going in the right direction. But yeah, condo sales in towers are slow going.

Back