The Grid | 50m | 16s | NORR

I say build the tower at 20 floors. There aren't many places, if any around Inglewood where you can build a tower that tall, that might be the only place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does everyone think this is such a perfect site for a highrise? It's right beside single family homes, a truck stop and a park with nothing resembling a highrise anywhere near it. Wouldn't 9th Ave or 12St be better? If I had a house there I sure as hell wouldn't want a 20 storey tower next door!

Why does everyone think this is such a perfect site for a highrise? It's right beside single family homes, a truck stop and a park with nothing resembling a highrise anywhere near it. Wouldn't 9th Ave or 12St be better? If I had a house there I sure as hell wouldn't want a 20 storey tower next door!
Where the site is, it certainly looks over single family homes, but it won't shadow them.

Lots of industrial/commercial brownfield near the two Greenline stations too, and while I'd personally prefer to live there, this ones right next to two major roads would likely be more economy minded. Also close to parks!

Right, so we will have an urban form for this building, but it will be entirely car dependent, so to me that basically defeats the purpose. It's not even near the future LRT, so the only thing it has going for it is shadows mostly won't hit houses. I like the enthusiasm you guys have for this, I just don't see it working.

Right, so we will have an urban form for this building, but it will be entirely car dependent, so to me that basically defeats the purpose. It's not even near the future LRT, so the only thing it has going for it is shadows mostly won't hit houses. I like the enthusiasm you guys have for this, I just don't see it working.
It is right close to the future SE BRT (17th Ave to downtown) station. With that station, I think a great TOD could be built on the old truck stop site, and this project, being right across the street from it, would be a natural fit.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...17ave-se-brt-phase-2-roll-plan-may29-2017.pdf

Granted, I see your point about it being right next to single family homes, and thus out of context. However, perhaps the City should look at upzoning those homes, to allow higher density, to take advantage of the infrastructure investment being made. To answer your earlier question, here is the existing, 1993 Inglewood ARP:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/arp-asp/arp/inglewood-arp.pdf
This is the document that gave Avli such a hard time, as it has (had?) a hard cap of 20m height in it. Avli is 22.5.

A new Inglewood ARP is being worked on, as part of the Greenline and the BRT being constructed. It is still in draft form, and still being written with the final product set to go to Council in Q4 2018. More info here:
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Transit-projects/Green-line/area.aspx?areaID=31
Draft ARP here:
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/GreenLineDocuments/Inglewood-ARP-Draft-March-2017.pdf

The new draft still calls for the area east of 19th street to be "Neighbourhood - Limited" with more info on what that means on page 28. On the west side of 19th Street (the truck stop site), it calls for a "future comprehensive plan".

Excellent info @MichaelS. With the BRT station across the street, a 20 floor building isn't out of the question. I would even add another highrise or two on the parcel across the street (to the west) On the topic of SE BRT, does anyone know where phase III is going to go to?

It is right close to the future SE BRT (17th Ave to downtown) station. With that station, I think a great TOD could be built on the old truck stop site, and this project, being right across the street from it, would be a natural fit.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...17ave-se-brt-phase-2-roll-plan-may29-2017.pdf

Granted, I see your point about it being right next to single family homes, and thus out of context. However, perhaps the City should look at upzoning those homes, to allow higher density, to take advantage of the infrastructure investment being made. To answer your earlier question, here is the existing, 1993 Inglewood ARP:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/arp-asp/arp/inglewood-arp.pdf
This is the document that gave Avli such a hard time, as it has (had?) a hard cap of 20m height in it. Avli is 22.5.

A new Inglewood ARP is being worked on, as part of the Greenline and the BRT being constructed. It is still in draft form, and still being written with the final product set to go to Council in Q4 2018. More info here:
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Transit-projects/Green-line/area.aspx?areaID=31
Draft ARP here:
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/GreenLineDocuments/Inglewood-ARP-Draft-March-2017.pdf

The new draft still calls for the area east of 19th street to be "Neighbourhood - Limited" with more info on what that means on page 28. On the west side of 19th Street (the truck stop site), it calls for a "future comprehensive plan".

Excellent info @MichaelS. With the BRT station across the street, a 20 floor building isn't out of the question. I would even add another highrise or two on the parcel across the street (to the west) On the topic of SE BRT, does anyone know where phase III is going to go to?
Connect seamlessly into a Greenline Station, perhaps with more dedicated busway and such iirc.

I agree with others. You build up to 20 floors. You don't start with 20 floors in established low rise areas. It never works out well.

Developer wishes to remain anonymous. Never a good thing.

Thanks MichaelS, didn't realize there was going to be BRT there. I really do hope they can start to intensify that area, such a waste of space that close to downtown!

I'm not opposed to doing something on that corner. My understatement of the year will be that this "idea" just "don't seem right". That lot is currently C-Cor3, with an FAR of 2.8, and a maximum height of 12m. When you start factoring what will likely be 6m set back on at 2-3 sides, and buildable vs landscaped area, well it starts to challenge the idea of a tower. They will probably get a parking reduction of 10% given the transit work. The triangular lot behind it is zoned M-CG. You can have a hell of a lot of fun with that zoning. If they rezoned this lot as M-CG, (also a maximum height of 12m) and the developer made an arrangement to purchase the triangular lot along 7th Ave SE, the density could be spread laterally as opposed to vertically. Working with that green space would be a great opportunity.

I know this is adding next to nothing to the conversation, but for some reason this is all I could think when I read it was named the Grid.

My two cents on this:
- A twenty storey building could be doable on that lot, and building it won't hurt the community. It would even add some density and help support the BRT being built.
- On the flip side, the developer could build the same density, and have all the same benefits to the neighborhood and BRT, by doing two shorter buildings with a more consistent podium wrapping around the extent of the property.

Seriously. I agree. Your in proximity to one of the nicer features that connects all Calgary, (the Bow), and they call it the Grid. Daft is awesome. But "the Grid" is probably better applied to some new district energy building for enmax.

My thoughts exactly. This isn’t as bad as building a 20 story tower right beside Avli or somewhere in that part of Inglewood, and if it got built it wouldn’t ruin the neighbourhood. Still it’s better to do it properly from the beginning I think.
My two cents on this:
- A twenty storey building could be doable on that lot, and building it won't hurt the community. It would even add some density and help support the BRT being built.
- On the flip side, the developer could build the same density, and have all the same benefits to the neighborhood and BRT, by doing two shorter buildings with a more consistent podium wrapping around the extent of the property.

Back