The Eden | 16m | 6s | Ascend Developments | CYNC

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new 75 unit multi-family has been applied for in Mount Pleasant, located at 531 and 535 24th Ave NW:

From the DP plans:
1684187836961.png

Nice find @MichaelS It's not a looker, but given it's location on a side street, it'll do. Especially if it can help get the owners of the huge lot to east to get off their butts and do something with their colossal waste of land.

View attachment 477605
This site has more pavement (~85,000SF) than the school to the north has park space (~80,000SF) and that includes the playground, basketball courts and paved inner courtyard of the school 😳

This site has more pavement (~85,000SF) than the school to the north has park space (~80,000SF) and that includes the playground, basketball courts and paved inner courtyard of the school 😳
Yeah it's a pretty sad use of inner city space, and the parking usually at around 25% used too. I can't believe someone hasn't thought of developing the site.
There was another multifamily development proposal around the corner, I wonder what happened to it?
You're probably thinking of this proposal - 2400 Block - not sure where it ended up at, but it's not on DMAP anymore. I recall they had a fair bit of pushback from the community.

Last edited:
Our dear community rallied against the proposal until it got withdrawn. I was disappointed by that. But yeah, I'm excited about this proposal!
Someone dropped off a mailer in my mailbox yesterday regarding opposition. The usual concerns: Density, slippery slope, parking, shadows, etc.

They also tried to kill the project on 22nd Ave and 4th Street but that's currently going ahead.

Someone dropped off a mailer in my mailbox yesterday regarding opposition. The usual concerns: Density, slippery slope, parking, shadows, etc.

They also tried to kill the project on 22nd Ave and 4th Street but that's currently going ahead.
They've actually made decent progress on that one. They aren't wasting any time.

Density, slippery slope, parking, shadows, etc.
I try to see things from other perspectives...

Density: I don't see how density is a bad thing; is it just a way of saying: "I don't want poor people/renters in my neighborhood"?

Slippery slope: This definitely means if we allow some poor people/renters, more poor people/renters will then come here.

Parking: People are lazy so I can see why they want to park near where they live.

Shadows: I actually get and sympathize with this. There are some ways to mitigate this but really it's a sacrifice of city building.

I'm just waiting for the first flyer drop from a 'concerned neighbour' that includes reference to the 15 minutes city haha.

I've come to expect every development that gets proposed to be opposed by any and every community association. If they are anything like my community association they're run by a bunch of female and male Karens.

I've come to expect every development that gets proposed to be opposed by any and every community association. If they are anything like my community association they're run by a bunch of female and male Karens.
Join your CA, I did.

Our CA no longer provides a pro or against for proposals. We meet with prospective developers, give them feedback and encourage them to reach out to the affected neighbours proactively. We provide information to residents and help them navigate the development structures at the city. We've tried to set guidelines of what we like to see in developments, not all that I agree with. We will also summarize feedback we do get from the community.

Density: I don't see how density is a bad thing; is it just a way of saying: "I don't want poor people/renters in my neighborhood"?
Development doesn't bring in poor people, unless it's a shelter or subsidized housing. It usually does the opposite. In my last neighbourhood I saw bungalows with 2 tenants replaced by infill duplexes or townhouses. Low-rent renters move out, young professionals move in.

You covered parking and shadows, which density brings. Another thing is lack of privacy. My old neighbour is in a 90s infill next to a bungalow turning into 8 units (4 townhouses with basement suites), and maybe also a laneway unit above the 4-car garage. She's not concerned about parking so much as the 4 back doors and balconies that will be facing her backyard from the side. She always expected development, but not turned 90 degrees and amounting to a 3-storey wall. It will turn her backyard into a shady courtyard with people coming and going 4 feet from the fence. I'm not going to offer an opinion one way or another as to whether this development should go ahead, but I can understand why she would either want to oppose it or pack up and leave.

Back