The Block on 4th | ?m | 4s | Indevelopments

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't remember if we had a thread for it or not (couldn't find one), but that smaller 4 storey office in Mission, where Peking Dragon is located, appears to now be a residential on retail project. DP was submitted May 16th (too new to link to), with DP2018-2366. Company is called Indevelopments, and here is the rendering:

https://www.indevelopments.com/the-block-on-4th/
upload_2018-5-18_8-18-4.png

Attachments

Surrealplaces

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't remember if we had a thread for it or not (couldn't find one), but that smaller 4 storey office in Mission, where Peking Dragon is located, appears to now be a residential on retail project. DP was submitted May 16th (too new to link to), with DP2018-2366. Company is called Indevelopments, and here is the rendering:

https://www.indevelopments.com/the-block-on-4th/
View attachment 144041
Thanks @MichaelS I liked the older design better, as this design is pretty...meh. Better than what's there now, but could be better designed for a corridor like 4th.

Cowtown

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like the scale, and the 2nd floor terrace overlooking the street, but the materials and design are banal. I'd much rather see a building with a level of design like Lido or August (University District) I'm kind of torn, because literally almost anything would beat what's there now, but still this development could use better design.

Surrealplaces

Member Bio
Reaction score
Barf - the stucco is terrible. I don't mind the ground level, but the res looks really cheap. Hopefully the City pushes back on this.
Yeah, I think for a popular corridor like 4th street it needs to be taken up a notch or two. If this was even around the corner and on one of the side avenues, I'd be okay with it.

IceCreamMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is so disappointing. I was just thinking about this property the other day, and this isn't what I had in mind for that amazing site. What a letdown.

kora

Member Bio
Reaction score
Kind of small. I was hoping for a supertall or at least a 8 storey building. The 4 Street corridor can support taller buildings imo. Look what's happening on the Beltline side of 4 Street.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Could easily do 8 floors, or at the very least, 6 floors.
Agreed. 2 blocks south of the Grovesnor project on 17th Ave & 4 St. with 2 20+ storey towers? 4 storeys would be leaving some serious potential on the table, especially if the design is kind of meh.

gsunnyg

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really hope this doesn't go, I know this part of 4th street in mission doesn't have any tall buildings but I was always hoping for a long extension of 4th street with tall high-rises acting like an artery from the core through the beltline and then into mission. Sort of like how yonge street stretches/extends the train of tall buildings out side of downtown Toronto (can see only google maps to know what I mean). It would really help extend the downtown skyline southwards, but I feel whoever has the vision set out for 4th street in mission doesn't feel the same way. I feel like its a completely wasted opportunity.

AJX

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm okay with it being 4 storeys, but I'm surprised the developer isn't going for more, I would try for 12 floors and hope to settle on 8. As for the design, I agree with everyone else, it needs an upgrade.