Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 4 So So

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 5 Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Terrible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
My guess is that because the light display is actually a public art piece called "Northern Lights" by Douglas Coupland, it's not intended to be adaptable by the owners of the building for different seasons or events. I imagine there might be legal issues similar to the Flight Stop where the artist sued and won when the Eaton Centre decorated the flying geese for Christmas. Then again, if Coupland wants to incorporate the candles or any other holiday display into his piece, that's his will.

When they were testing it they had a pattern up with the Flames logo so hopefully in the future we will see some more custom patterns.
It's with that Flames logo test that I hope it's possible. Plus didn't they do special lighting for Reconciliation Day? (And even before that for the Residential Schools) So, hope it's in the cards.

Pretty sure they removed the lights from the building.
I worked in that building for a couple years, they have wires attached to the outside of the building they would just attach typical Christmas lights to (like, Canadian Tire string lights). It was lit up last year I believe...

My guess is that because the light display is actually a public art piece called "Northern Lights" by Douglas Coupland, it's not intended to be adaptable by the owners of the building for different seasons or events. I imagine there might be legal issues similar to the Flight Stop where the artist sued and won when the Eaton Centre decorated the flying geese for Christmas. Then again, if Coupland wants to incorporate the candles or any other holiday display into his piece, that's his will.
It's 100% programmable, you can even pay to have custom lighting on the building.

Just so beautiful in context…

AFF40CE5-BA15-452C-91B0-30D6BAF56F81.jpeg
5698A864-2871-4466-B717-804CD66E6571.jpeg

Compared to the historic buildings of most North American cities, that tower is immaculate; the friggin mortal is still… there even! 🤣 but yes by our standards it could use some love.

It's cool to see how responsive Sky and the Calgary tower are on their lighting, I was kind of hoping Brookfield Place would do similar. They did go orange for the residential schools a few months ago, was always hoping for changes for events or occasions like Canada day.

Back