News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Stadiums and Arenas

Concert numbers always vary, as you can have adozen big artists touring one year, and then only two or three the next year.
There's no question that concert revenue is a big part of this, but the hockey revenue is still the stable mostly guaranteed type of revenue, and in the end really it will be the flames as the driving force.

Here's the location in case anyone's unsure of where they are proposing.

Image9.jpg

Attachments

• Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 287
So much political posturing going on :( I just wish both sides could come to some sort of congenial joint effort.

The city must be joking if they think their $ can be recovered. What the city gets is the land the Saddledome sits on back.

Admittedly I'm not up to date on the proposal and the aspects of it, but this involves a land swap?

The city is offering to buy the land is all I know. If the Stampede wants to buy the Saddledome, that should be a completely different deal as there will be more to it. The Flames likely want a no compete clause regarding the Saddledome for when the new building finally happens.

Basically the Flames group wants a commitment of 1/3 of the arena cost. City estimates that at $200 million, Flames at around $166 million - probably would end up closer to the high number. City wants to recover its investment as a lease or through property tax. Total non-starter - doesn't help with the economics much.

Here's an excerpt from an article a while back.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...posed-for-parking-lots-north-of-stampede-park

An arena on the site would be located within the existing Rivers Community Revitalization Levy District, known as a CRL, which is forecast to tally $150 million more in revenue over the next decade.

The city report states the proposed arena would be situated on land owned by the Stampede, and the Stampede is amenable to swapping its land for the city-owned land where the Saddledome currently sits.

Back