News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Skylines

20200827_183639.jpg

Is it me or the leaves are starting to change colors much later than usual over the past few years? Maybe climate change? I always freak out when theres snow in the forecast and the trees are still holding on to most of their leaves. Repeat of 2014 Snowtember gives me anxiety.

Is it me or the leaves are starting to change colors much later than usual over the past few years? Maybe climate change? I always freak out when theres snow in the forecast and the trees are still holding on to most of their leaves. Repeat of 2014 Snowtember gives me anxiety.
I think it depends on the year but I definitely think Calgary has gotten ever so slightly milder over the years (freak snow events aside).

If there isn't a heavy frost in September or there is mostly clear sunny days the leaves will last a bit longer and can vary by up to week or so. Generally speaking the leaves of large trees usually turn around the same time each year, as the leaf color is related to the amount of sunlight. If it stayed frost free and warm for the next two months the leaves would still turn around the end of September due to our latitude.

That said, the leaves of some shrubs and plants rely less on sunlight and could last longer. Lilac bushes can go a long time if there are no freezing temps.

Back