River Club | 56m | 15s | Urban Capital | DIALOG

I like it... If they can keep the historic trees currently on this site. There must be a way. We need to stop cutting down every historic tree in this neighborhood.
I can't see a way to save those trees unless someone pays to dig them up and transport them. The shoring will cut off most of the roots and the tree would likely be at risk of falling into the excavation. If there is no parkade or basement, they might be safe, but I can't see that happening.

Love this mid-century modern design! The thermal bridging on those deck slabs though, holy moly - I'm assuming this is going to be one expensive tower (if this is how it ends up getting built).

Last edited:
Love this mid-century modern design! The thermal breaking on those deck slabs though, holy moly - I'm assuming this is going to be one expensive tower (if this is how it ends up getting built).
Thermal bridging. A thermal break would fix that, but those are crazy expensive and I've never seen them used here. Thermal break for balconies

Agreed, my point still stands though (I did fix the word in the other post). Will this be the first use of thermal breaking technology? With this much deck slab (if it's even code compliant), my concern is how heat loss will be addressed. I'm assuming the architect and the developer have had these discussions.

The slab will cantilever and it will be a major thermal bridge. Sadly this is common here as nobody wants to pay for the thermal break product I showed above. I always think of the Guardian towers as giant radiators with all their concrete floor fins lol. This one would be much the same I imagine.

I don't know anything about this so I'm just curious... but does the heat loss/gain from thermal bridging make a big enough efficiency dent to invest in building it properly, or is it usually just more economical to pay extra to heat/cool your building? Ie, is this a case of spending $40-50K to replace all the drafty windows in your house to make it more efficient, but not being worth it till unless you spend 20+ years there?

Back