News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Regional Rail Transit

It is more if the point of opposition is “that is more of a 2050 kind of idea”, it is a counter.

The main things for Alberta is that comparatively, the line is more affordable (easier to build rail on prairie than shield), and speed is what unlocks revenue, which is what makes it worthwhile (a slower line would require a much larger subsidy).

@darwink how likely is it that either of the rail proposals move forward to construction in the next decade?
I'd say 85% on airport-downtown-banff. 40% on Calgary-Edmonton HSR (just much higher capital costs, longer construction process, longer regulatory process, requiring much more patient capital). Banff-downtown-airport you're looking at 4-5 years from start of regulatory to opening day. Calgary-Edmonton you're looking at 7-10 years.

As for airport-downtown-Banff:

Jason Kenney made specific mention of these Alstom Hydrogen powered train sets in his press conference today when asked about the Calgary to Banff rail project.

So would this at some level negate the need to extend the c-train to the airport?

This is the best plan IMO, with an automated Airport People Mover.

calgary-airport-line-concept-june-2019-4.jpg

So would this at some level negate the need to extend the c-train to the airport?
I doubt it. They are not going to be the same kind of service and different markets. This will not be a daily commuter train - it will be too expensive for that. This will only be for tourists heading to Banff. We need both for the future growth of the city. Especially with the fact that we won't be getting the Green Line North (and airport link) for another 20 years of so.

I assume that this Airport-Banff train would price out airport employees who would want an affordable LRT option to the airport?
Well, we can assume a private operator will choose to revenue maximize, and sometimes that means segmenting markets and charging them different amounts. As long as shift change doesn't interfere with departure and arrival banks too hard, and maybe segment off the trains which won't require a transfer to Banff, I could see a monthly pass being offered at whatever cost ensures full price passengers are never replaced by a monthly pass customer. Same with for service from the west and mountains.

This is the best plan IMO, with an automated Airport People Mover.

calgary-airport-line-concept-june-2019-4.jpg

Seems unlikely to me that they will build one-seat heavy rail directly to the terminal, the turning radius and the tail tracks are hard to accommodate.

I would bet that "Phase 1" Banff-Calgary-YYC service would terminate on the current rail corridor shown above to the west of Deerfoot, initially served by shuttle bus.

Then "Phase 2" will be a people mover from the heavy rail station to YYC and onwards through the airport tunnel to the blue line, to be built in combination with a one-stop Blue Line extension.

"Phase 3" would be the final western connection from the heavy rail station west to Aurora Business Park and the Green Line, once the Green Line is extended that far north.

Back