News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Regional Rail Transit

Uhm, the population of Alberta hasn't been three million since the 90s, but the corridor itself is only about 3.5 million currently. Of course, the province itself is 4.4 million as of this year.

Penetrator_Page_1.jpg
Penetrator_Page_2.jpg
Penetrator_Page_3.jpg

More talk about a train to Banff. Plus a big ole parking lot and a new gondola. Seems like it's mostly talk but how awesome would a train to the mountains from downtown be.

^ the people behind it have put their money behind it. This is a serious project.

They say that, but the cynical perspective would be, there's no way they will get Parks Canada to approve a giant parking lot and new gondola for the ski resort unless they dress it up as somehow connected to regional rail.

The parking lot is already approved iirc, mostly built even. The gondola, not so much.

I don't understand the Wainwright line as it doesn't connect to any major (or even considerable) population or economic centres, but other than that, the rest make sense. There should also be a connector between Banff and Jasper.

The Lloydminster and Medicine Hat lines could be extended to the major cities of Saskatchewan eventually, while the Grande Prairie line should be connected to the cities of the NE BC prairies to strengthen Alberta's ties there.

Last edited:
I'd triple up on the Calgary-Edmonton corridor before many of those lines - A green field HSR, a 2A (CP) and a 21 (CN) alignment.

The current rail map just for reference: https://rac.jmaponline.net/canadianrailatlas/

In general, connections between Calgary and Edmonton, and the east west CN and CP main lines are busy enough that significant capital expenditure is needed to support anything but infrequent trains slowed and stalled by freight.

I don't understand the Wainwright line as it doesn't connect to any major (or even considerable) population or economic centres, but other than that, the rest make sense. There should also be a connector between Banff and Jasper.

The Lloydminster and Medicine Hat lines could be extended to the major cities of Saskatchewan eventually.
Same. Connecting Banff and Jasper just won't happen, parks and all, and demand level - the demand there can easily be served with buses.

With it being Alberta Regional Rail, I have only concentrated on potential destinations within Alberta. With the cooperation of neighbouring Provinces, extensions could be provided:
Wainwright to Saskatoon and Regina.
Lethbridge to Golden via Fernie and Invermere.
Medicine Hat to Regina and Winnipeg.
Also further into BC, to Kamloops and Vancouver.
But these are dreams, that can be better realised once the first service is started, the websites have more information:
www.railalberta.com
www.albertaregionalrail.com

With it being Alberta Regional Rail, I have only concentrated on potential destinations within Alberta. With the cooperation of neighbouring Provinces, extensions could be provided:
Wainwright to Saskatoon and Regina.
Lethbridge to Golden via Fernie and Invermere.
Medicine Hat to Regina and Winnipeg.
Also further into BC, to Kamloops and Vancouver.
But these are dreams, that can be better realised once the first service is started, the websites have more information:
www.railalberta.com
www.albertaregionalrail.com
Has there been any inidcation from Calgary City Council that Commuter Rail will ever come? It seems like a relatively quick and easy thing to establish. Just need to negotiate with CN Rail.

Back