Redstone | 43.89m | 14s | Amble Ventures | NORR

BADC14A1-F667-46BF-A064-B51C11B0F1D2.jpeg
464C8020-9041-4652-A7F8-38581D050A79.jpeg
C37B6C12-F927-450C-A230-D603EBF0FD84.jpeg
416479FB-4362-475A-B59F-F4C89B0C4FCC.jpeg

I read a review on this building and the poster was complaining that there was no parking available.

I guess it depends on what market you are going for. Numerous recent buildings in the Beltline have asked for, and recieved, parking relaxations to supply less than what the land use bylaw requires. The studies that justify this look at broader policy goals, available alternative modes of transportation, and current/planned restrictions in place to ensure the lack of parking will not cause undo harm on the surrounding neighbourhood. In the Beltline, it is relatively easy to get a parking relaxation, due to all of these factors being in place (can't really park a car and leave it on the street if you are a resident, due to the time restrictions, etc..., plus the numerous alternate modes avialble). It would be much harder to get these relaxations if you are building a suburban condo building in Redstone for instance.

What these parking studies DON"T typially look at, is overall market demand. That is up to the developer to decide if the cost of building the stalls (typically quite expensive as they have to be underground, and the deeper you go, the more $$$$ it takes) is worth the cost, depending on what they could reasonably rent/sell the parking stalls for. It probably varies substantially depending on the type of units being supplied. Small studio apartments, that are about 350 square feet? Odds are the person living there would rather forego the cost of a parking stall. 2,000 square foot penthouse? Person there might want 2-4 parking stalls available to them, and be willing to pay.

If you really are curious, might not hurt to call around to a few rental buildings near the location you are thinking of, and enquiring to what they charge for renting a parking stall, and if they have any vacancy (pretent to be an interested resident maybe if you think they will be hesitant to give this information out). I feel like (just my gut feel, haven't actually gone out and studied in depth) every parking stall that exists in the Beltline is used, because there is big demand for them. That demand though might not justify the costs of supplying more stalls, especially if you are looking at level 3 or deeper in an underground parkade. While the residents of Redstone may grumble about the lack of parking, they mght grumble more loudly if they had to pay the full cost it would take to supply that extra parking.

Oh, every spot is not used, as markets only exist within buildings not between them for the most part.

It really depends on the unit composition. My building is only two bedroom units or more, and had a parking relaxation down to one spot per unit. Every spot is occupied except for those ‘owned’ by people who are 80+.

Old place didn’t have a parking relaxation and had a lot of one bedrooms. That resulted in being 50% full even on the busiest time.

Waterfront in Eau Claire, even during the early pandemic, I’d put occupancy at 70% max.

So yeah, very different depending on the building.

I guess it depends on what market you are going for. Numerous recent buildings in the Beltline have asked for, and recieved, parking relaxations to supply less than what the land use bylaw requires. The studies that justify this look at broader policy goals, available alternative modes of transportation, and current/planned restrictions in place to ensure the lack of parking will not cause undo harm on the surrounding neighbourhood. In the Beltline, it is relatively easy to get a parking relaxation, due to all of these factors being in place (can't really park a car and leave it on the street if you are a resident, due to the time restrictions, etc..., plus the numerous alternate modes avialble). It would be much harder to get these relaxations if you are building a suburban condo building in Redstone for instance.

What these parking studies DON"T typially look at, is overall market demand. That is up to the developer to decide if the cost of building the stalls (typically quite expensive as they have to be underground, and the deeper you go, the more $$$$ it takes) is worth the cost, depending on what they could reasonably rent/sell the parking stalls for. It probably varies substantially depending on the type of units being supplied. Small studio apartments, that are about 350 square feet? Odds are the person living there would rather forego the cost of a parking stall. 2,000 square foot penthouse? Person there might want 2-4 parking stalls available to them, and be willing to pay.

If you really are curious, might not hurt to call around to a few rental buildings near the location you are thinking of, and enquiring to what they charge for renting a parking stall, and if they have any vacancy (pretent to be an interested resident maybe if you think they will be hesitant to give this information out). I feel like (just my gut feel, haven't actually gone out and studied in depth) every parking stall that exists in the Beltline is used, because there is big demand for them. That demand though might not justify the costs of supplying more stalls, especially if you are looking at level 3 or deeper in an underground parkade. While the residents of Redstone may grumble about the lack of parking, they mght grumble more loudly if they had to pay the full cost it would take to supply that extra parking.
Agreed on beltline parking stalls having little vacancy. Also level 3+ would never bring in the rent to justify the cost to build it for a rental developer. All the new rental buildings in the beltline seem to be 0.6-0.7 parkings per unit. Way under the required bylaw but the city is granting the variance.

Oh, every spot is not used, as markets only exist within buildings not between them for the most part.

It really depends on the unit composition. My building is only two bedroom units or more, and had a parking relaxation down to one spot per unit. Every spot is occupied except for those ‘owned’ by people who are 80+.

Old place didn’t have a parking relaxation and had a lot of one bedrooms. That resulted in being 50% full even on the busiest time.

Waterfront in Eau Claire, even during the early pandemic, I’d put occupancy at 70% max.

So yeah, very different depending on the building.
Agreed. My in-laws lived in a high-rise in Mission for a few years, and I would say the parking spots were about 60%-70% full. However, a number of vehicles were covered in tarp and never driven, and some were actually stored there for people who who didn't live in the building. The rent of the unit came with one spot at no extra charge (hidden charge yes, but no out in the open charge) so people would sometimes store vehicles for other people. Guaranteed if everyone had a separate charge for parking nobody would be storing vehicles for others.

Back