News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary real estate market

I see this being used as ammo in the next election. Developers are always trying to paint Nenshi and co as anti-development lol. I remember they said we would run out of suburban homes in 5 years in the second Nenshi run.

I see this being used as ammo in the next election. Developers are always trying to paint Nenshi and co as anti-development lol. I remember they said we would run out of suburban homes in 5 years in the second Nenshi run.

They keep building and building SFH, makes you kind of wonder who is buying them? The oil market crapped in 2014 so its been a good 6 years and they keep churning them out. ;)

I left in early 2017 and the city already stretches so far past where it did back then. There is barely any space between Calgary and Heritage Pointe anymore.

They keep building and building SFH, makes you kind of wonder who is buying them? The oil market crapped in 2014 so its been a good 6 years and they keep churning them out. ;)

I left in early 2017 and the city already stretches so far past where it did back then. There is barely any space between Calgary and Heritage Pointe anymore.
Using city census and StatsCan population estimates I wanted to explore this a bit.

From 2015 to 2019, Calgary's population grew by over 92,200 or about 91% of Calgary CMA's total growth of 100,700. This was the smallest 5-year growth total since 1994 - 1998. For comparison, Vancouver CMA grew by 146,867 over the same period. Looking at relative growth, Calgary CMA grew by 6.6% over the period. Vancouver CMA grew by 5.5%. Toronto CMA grew by 7.0% for reference. Worth mentioning that housing growth typically increases faster than population due to ever-shrinking average household sizes.

Population growth being the core predictive factor for housing growth suggests to me that Calgary continues to see demand for housing. Sure, much slower growth by Calgary's insane standards, but roughly in line with any of the other big metro regions of the country.

The question is more specifically what type and in what location (e.g. deep south burbs or otherwise)? Calgary's new suburbs are much more diverse in housing typology than the burbs of 20 years, so there's condos, townhomes and SFH found in all far-flung areas now. Someone else may have the data but I recall that SFH hasn't been the majority of housing growth in the region for quite a few years now and is trending to a smaller and smaller share. This could be a response to the shrinking family since, affordability pressures or better recognition of different demographic markets interested in housing.

Past trends don't make future realities necessarily - particularly true in a year of unpredictable global economic collapse and travel lockdowns. If I had to make a prediction on how this will go once we return to some sort of normal in a few years, I would expect to see the SFH demand to continue to shrink as a proportion but stable, slow growth in the burbs and redevelopment areas. As a result, the backlog of giant sprawl areas from the last boom phase will take a long time to "sweat off" - there may be ongoing house building but at a slower pace so they don't start new neighbourhoods every 2 years but every 20 years.

I think of the factors that made Calgary's growth so high and SFH count so large have quickly changed. No this isn't a mass exodus/"the New Detroit" argument, just that Calgary is quickly starting to perform like any other major cities in Canada: large region with slow growth and a higher proportion of low and middle income households. Expect more apartments and continued redevelopment growth as a result.

The one unique factor remains for us that there is no physical barriers or suburban cities to take all these SFH from us (or prevent them from existing in the first place due). This is changing as well, just much more slowly. I don't know if we will see a policy-response (e.g. Toronto Greenbelt) to help shape this faster but my guess would be less impactful as the regional pressure to sort it out isn't there yet. It's certainly coming though (water supply, the Rockyview acreage belt, Balzac and Chestermere competition etc.)

Until we lose that last unique factor, the burbs will keep being built but much slower (and differently) than we have seen previously.

Using city census and StatsCan population estimates I wanted to explore this a bit.

From 2015 to 2019, Calgary's population grew by over 92,200 or about 91% of Calgary CMA's total growth of 100,700. This was the smallest 5-year growth total since 1994 - 1998. For comparison, Vancouver CMA grew by 146,867 over the same period. Looking at relative growth, Calgary CMA grew by 6.6% over the period. Vancouver CMA grew by 5.5%. Toronto CMA grew by 7.0% for reference. Worth mentioning that housing growth typically increases faster than population due to ever-shrinking average household sizes.

Population growth being the core predictive factor for housing growth suggests to me that Calgary continues to see demand for housing. Sure, much slower growth by Calgary's insane standards, but roughly in line with any of the other big metro regions of the country.

The question is more specifically what type and in what location (e.g. deep south burbs or otherwise)? Calgary's new suburbs are much more diverse in housing typology than the burbs of 20 years, so there's condos, townhomes and SFH found in all far-flung areas now. Someone else may have the data but I recall that SFH hasn't been the majority of housing growth in the region for quite a few years now and is trending to a smaller and smaller share. This could be a response to the shrinking family since, affordability pressures or better recognition of different demographic markets interested in housing.

Past trends don't make future realities necessarily - particularly true in a year of unpredictable global economic collapse and travel lockdowns. If I had to make a prediction on how this will go once we return to some sort of normal in a few years, I would expect to see the SFH demand to continue to shrink as a proportion but stable, slow growth in the burbs and redevelopment areas. As a result, the backlog of giant sprawl areas from the last boom phase will take a long time to "sweat off" - there may be ongoing house building but at a slower pace so they don't start new neighbourhoods every 2 years but every 20 years.

I think of the factors that made Calgary's growth so high and SFH count so large have quickly changed. No this isn't a mass exodus/"the New Detroit" argument, just that Calgary is quickly starting to perform like any other major cities in Canada: large region with slow growth and a higher proportion of low and middle income households. Expect more apartments and continued redevelopment growth as a result.

The one unique factor remains for us that there is no physical barriers or suburban cities to take all these SFH from us (or prevent them from existing in the first place due). This is changing as well, just much more slowly. I don't know if we will see a policy-response (e.g. Toronto Greenbelt) to help shape this faster but my guess would be less impactful as the regional pressure to sort it out isn't there yet. It's certainly coming though (water supply, the Rockyview acreage belt, Balzac and Chestermere competition etc.)

Until we lose that last unique factor, the burbs will keep being built but much slower (and differently) than we have seen previously.

Not sure if you gathered from my posts but generally here are my assumptions of Calgary RE market:
1) Calgary will continue to grow, despite what happens in the oil industry
2) Urbanization and densification of the core will continue
3)The burbs will continue to grow, but a little constraint on the land supply is a good thing for the market as a whole.

I think approving a bunch of new communities isn't warranted until the slack is taken up in the system and we see some more( if there is any) evidence of pricing pressure.

Not sure if you gathered from my posts but generally here are my assumptions of Calgary RE market:
1) Calgary will continue to grow, despite what happens in the oil industry
2) Urbanization and densification of the core will continue
3)The burbs will continue to grow, but a little constraint on the land supply is a good thing for the market as a whole.

I think approving a bunch of new communities isn't warranted until the slack is taken up in the system and we see some more( if there is any) evidence of pricing pressure.

Well if there is one key takeway from the Canadian housing market is that we never wait long enough to see enough "pricing pressure"...

Canada's immigration target for the next 3 years is 1.2M. Calgary is the 4th largest CMA.

Well if there is one key takeway from the Canadian housing market is that we never wait long enough to see enough "pricing pressure"...

Canada's immigration target for the next 3 years is 1.2M. Calgary is the 4th largest CMA.

Sorry I just saw this, additional immigration while holding to current development "footprint" constant will be what leads to pricing pressure and taking up slack.

I don't think it's necessarily that simple.The top two drivers of immigrants to a specific community are family/friends and job prospects.

Immigrants want jobs, too; and the types of skilled immigrants Canada focuses on are I'm sure able to google unemployment rates. At the peak of the 70's boom, in 1982, Alberta got 14.4% of Canada's immigrants; a few years after our economy crashed, we had half that share and it took 25 years to get back to that level.

Decade: Share of national immigration in Alberta
1976-1985: 11.1%
1986-1995: 6.0%
1996-2005: 6.1%
2005-2016: 12.8%
2016-2020: 8.9%

I think Calgary's done a good job of attracting immigrants over the past decade, and building the more diverse communities that tend to spur on further immigration -- if I was moving to another country, I'd be more interested in someplace I heard about from a friend or relative, someplace where you could get maple syrup in a grocery store, someplace there was a bar that had Hockey Night in Canada on the satellite. The thing is that there's a real big gap between the top three CMAs and Calgary; we're increasingly diverse, but we're nowhere near Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal levels of diversity. Meanwhile, Edmonton has an equally diverse population; Winnipeg has had huge gains in immigration, and a number of other smaller centres (Regina, Saskatoon, Halifax, Kitchener-Waterloo, Windsor) have increasing immigrant communities.

Anyways, all that said, here's the recent trend for new permanent residents in Calgary:

1607722861947.png

I wouldn't bet on immigrants to save us if we are mired in economic doldrums.

Montreal is nowhere near on another level than Calgary in diversity, it’s virtually the same, with the edge to Calgary. Toronto and Vancouver are the only two cities on “another level”, Montreal is nowhere near the level of those cities.

Over 43% of Calgary is a member of a visible minority group, including the 4% indigenous population. While Montreal is 37% visible minority, including 2.4% indigenous population. Edmonton has 42% non-white population including 6.5% indigenous population. Winnipeg is 40% including 12.5% aboriginal.

Of those cities, Calgary had the highest proportion of immigrants at 36%.

Those four cities are in the second tier, without that big of differences, and Calgary at the top.

As an extra stat, given its similar population, Ottawa is 31%, including 4.6% indigenous population.

Montreal is nowhere near on another level than Calgary in diversity, it’s virtually the same, with the edge to Calgary. Toronto and Vancouver are the only two cities on “another level”, Montreal is nowhere near the level of those cities.

Over 43% of Calgary is a member of a visible minority group, including the 4% indigenous population. While Montreal is 37% visible minority, including 2.4% indigenous population. Edmonton has 42% non-white population including 6.5% indigenous population. Winnipeg is 40% including 12.5% aboriginal.

Of those cities, Calgary had the highest proportion of immigrants at 36%.

Those four cities are in the second tier, without that big of differences, and Calgary at the top.

As an extra stat, given its similar population, Ottawa is 31%, including 4.6% indigenous population.
You're right that Calgary and Edmonton are more diverse than Montreal. Where did you get your numbers from? 2016 StatsCan has Calgary 38.6% Vis Min and 3.8% First Nation. Is more recent data available?

I believe 38.6 + 3.8 = 42.4 %.... and I said 43.

Of course the data is from 2016, the last federal census.

Not arguing with your numbers, but I think it's a little simplistic to equate skin colour and diversity.

Considering cultural and linguistic diversity, I'd argue that Montreal has Calgary beat in this category (and that's not a knock on Calgary).

Back