Park Central | 134m | 39s | Hines | S.C.B.

General rating of the project

• Great

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Very Good

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • Good

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • So So

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I love the mid-rise component fronting onto 4th Street, if this project proceeds that will be a forgettable - but critical - gem of a building to plug another big gap in the fabric from downtown down 4th Street to the heart of urban Calgary.

If Calgary ever slays it's maximize-automotive-throughput-all-the-time roads department dragon and converts the northern part of 4th Street back into a two-way from this location to the river, we will have an incredible main street with developments like this.

What are the rules for developments when they just have a DP? Can they start excavation without the BP? Is there a special permit for it?

Edit: I see a comment above says they do have a BP. So ignore my post

Even if they haven't had the DP approved, they can get a permit to begin shoring. If I recall, it allows them to go down something like 8 feet. That may have changed from 15 years ago though.

If Calgary ever slays it's maximize-automotive-throughput-all-the-time roads department dragon and converts the northern part of 4th Street back into a two-way from this location to the river, we will have an incredible main street with developments like this.
100% agree.

I love the mid-rise component fronting onto 4th Street, if this project proceeds that will be a forgettable - but critical - gem of a building to plug another big gap in the fabric from downtown down 4th Street to the heart of urban Calgary.

Yesss! Fourth Street SW is my favourite street in the city!

Yeah, I think a few roads around the core need to be converted to two way. 11th ave, 12th ave are the most glaring ones.

Yeah, I think a few roads around the core need to be converted to two way. 11th ave, 12th ave are the most glaring ones.

The thing I always found strange about 11th and 12th is that the city's own report to say it might be a good idea to convert them back was published about 18 years ago and nothing happened. Various councillors have discussed it and been in favour of it over the years yet nothing seems to ever change with the downtown road network (exception being 1st Street complete street redo, the cycletrack infrastructure, and pro-throughput-all-the-time lane reversal projects like the recent stuff in the west end). Relatively minor changes for 20 years of rapid city growth and significant densification.

Weirder still is plenty of one-way remnants were clearly over-built decades ago with no plan to change. Perhaps they were built to anticipate a highway network that never came to fruition, but on opening day anyone could have told you the weird 4 or 5 lane wide one-way ends of Macleod Trail by the Bow River will never possibly be used to "capacity" and should have been half or as quarter as wide. 4th Street's transition between the Beltline and Downtown is the same; there is no combination of traffic flows coming from the south through the railway underpass that will ever fill the 4 lanes of northbound traffic to capacity. They literally can't: there isn't enough lanes to plug into 4th from 12th, 11th or 10th so that the 4 or 5 lane one-way northbound 4th Street could ever be the bottleneck.

There is some curious, out-of-date and frustratingly "black-box" decisions that have been - and continue to be - made regarding our one-way system. It's time for a rethink. Hell, the Route 3 would shave like 5 minutes per run southbound if it didn't have to go over to 5th Street to turn south and went down 4th Street instead. Plus this new building could get a southbound stop too :)

There is some curious, out-of-date and frustratingly "black-box" decisions that have been - and continue to be - made regarding our one-way system. It's time for a rethink. Hell, the Route 3 would shave like 5 minutes per run southbound if it didn't have to go over to 5th Street to turn south and went down 4th Street instead. Plus this new building could get a southbound stop too :)
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/council-oks-transit-only-lane-on-4th-street-s-w

Not sure what the status of this is, but we are now on year 4 since the article, and they said within 5......

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/council-oks-transit-only-lane-on-4th-street-s-w

Not sure what the status of this is, but we are now on year 4 since the article, and they said within 5......

I fear another report/decision has disappeared into the black-box that is inner city road network planning/decisions. Given the ridership & cost/benefit, this project might be small but could have huge net benefits. Especially if density is increasing all along the corridor (500 Block, Grovesnor @ 17th & 4th etc.)

I would very much like to see 4th turned back into a two way street. Especially given that most of it is already is two way.

I love the mid-rise component also, what's the more orange material on it going to be? brick?

Image20 (1).jpg

Attachments

• Image20 (1).jpg
    Image20 (1).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 546

Back