Palliser One | 122m | 27s

Ah, the old "It will cost more to look better" slant. :rolleyes:

I agree the building won’t look good when it’s finished, but it’s not necessarily the architect who is to blame. They could’ve done a MacKimmie style re-clad, but that would cost a lot of money. Given the placement of the windows it’s hard to do any kind of re-clad that looks really good and doesn’t cost a lot of money. I’m not sure realistically what else could be done with it taking into account the economics of it.

I find that a copout that something that looks good is high quality and expensive.i I've seen many budget builds in Canada and elsewhere that look better than big budget builds. Here they should have stuck with one colour and some highlights instead of the tired random multi coloured panel look. Something like FCP in Toronto with white panels and dark corner highlights would still pay tribute to the original concept.

I don't think you can compare the FCP reclad with this one. FCP was fortunate that they could use a different cheaper material that looked virtually the same. If they had used panels of one color it would look like crap., no better than this other crappy pixelated version. If they used metal panels shaped and articulated the same as the originals, then yes, I guess I could see it. I don't know what the cost would be on that option.

Maybe. I don't find the sandwich panels being used horrible. It's the design. FCP's theme would look better than this pixelated version. It wouldn't be up to the standards of The Bow, Telus Sky, or FCP's glass cladding. I imagine it easier on the eyes.

20191023_150502.jpg

I will add a little design tidbit when this was once the previous iteration that showed a curtainwall reclad option a few years ago. A few of you may have even seen it before as a rendering was floating around somewhere showing a similar blue shades color composition to the Palliser South in which this was to be a launching point for a reinvigorated Palliser Square complex to make way for the eventual builds of the twins next to Calgary Tower. One of the major design sells that I had tried to persuade to the client and curtainwall reps was to incorporate extra wide curtainwall glazing panels to offer a truly unique 'living room' style of office experience which would of been a first. It would of been possible to engineer the curtainwalls to have an uninterrupted large glazing area provided the frames were reinforced without putting on undue loads to the existing structure. I had several details to propose a system where this could be achieved while complementing the existing structural layout.
A few buildings here have extra wide glazing on certain areas that are in excess of 2m wide. The glazed version of PSQ1 would of have the curtainwalls set in a module where the open spaces would be about 2.5m wide x 2.2m height with intermediate spandrels to cover off the columns before repeating onwards as it wrapped around the whole facade multiplied by 27 floors or so before seamlessly dematerializing at the parapet level Hines style. Mind you these would be pretty damn big squares but absolutely epic in terms of sellability with the view it would of provided given in part of the next level engineering of curtainwall fabrication that keeps on one upping itself every few years.
I managed to convince our project architect to push this further to the fabricators but it sadly got shot down by the upper brasses due to the hardened conventional wisdom of expense+economics and not deviating from how things have always been done. A spark of local design innovation to really bring out a winner had been since reduced to this ghastly abomination, but they saved tens of millions I guess.
(You look at the new Central Library done by Snohetta and notice that its curtainwall panels are all 2 storey modules for the lower half, though there are mid frames present for design reasons, the panels itself are probably more than 3m wide. I think these are the biggest panels I have seen, provided by the same supplier that PSQ would of awarded. Telus sky has 5m high panels for Level 3 though its width is more conventional, but the expanse of all that glazed purity is epic)

Last edited:

Back