Oliver | 121.3m | 35s | Centron | Gibbs Gage

I'd love to see the city give some of the inner city avenues official names. For example they could officially give 11th the Electric Avenue name or swap 10th and 9th back to their original names of Atlantic Avenue (9th) and Pacific Avenue (10th.) Or they could come up with whole new names.

24th ave was Rue Grandin so that ones not reverting

seems to have been overlooked as these names are removed

I'd love to see the city give some of the inner city avenues official names. For example they could officially give 11th the Electric Avenue name or swap 10th and 9th back to their original names of Atlantic Avenue (9th) and Pacific Avenue (10th.) Or they could come up with whole new names.
I’ve always wished 17th used its original name of Notre Dame Ave.
17th Ave. as a name, has no personality whatsoever.

calgary_street_names_1891_59724.gif

Quick map of the former names, some i've always wished for are...

9th Avenue --> Atlantic Avenue
10th Avenue --> Pacific Avenue
4th Street. --> Broadway
2nd Street SE --> Drinkwater Street
17th Avenue --> Norte Dame Road

Just to name a few, I feel like having streets with actual names rather than numerical ones adds an aspect of character to the city.

View attachment 326847

4th Street. --> Broadway

Just to name a few, I feel like having streets with actual names rather than numerical ones adds an aspect of character to the city.
Agreed! And because so few streets in the City have names, there is a wealth of good available names, which is why I always find it perplexing when you go to the burbs and every street in a development has the same name, followed by “Street”, “Ave”, “Way”, “Boulevard”, etc. instead of giving each street its own unique name.

View attachment 326847

4th Street. --> Broadway

There a few other too. I recall one of them was called Hamilton Street.

I’ve always wished 17th used its original name of Notre Dame Ave.
17th Ave. as a name, has no personality whatsoever.

Add me to that list. I hate the fact that all of our downtown streets have numbers instead of names. 🤮 It just adds to Calgary's reputation as a boring business city.

Add me to that list. I hate the fact that all of our downtown streets have numbers instead of names. 🤮 It just adds to Calgary's reputation as a boring business city.
Nah, I've lived in cities in Ontario where it's only street names instead of numbers, its so confusing figuring out where you are or where to go, especially if you're not familiar with the city. Lots of them are also named after some not great people, which is particularly poignant right now.

The best approach is probably to just add them as alternate names, similar to Stephen Ave / 8th Ave, and include both on the street signs.

View attachment 326847

4th Street. --> Broadway

The numbering system is fine, but for prominent streets they should use names.
Agreed. Considering the city is focused on the next phase of downtown, changing the names of the main streets/prominent streets back to their original names should be done to give it more character and make the area more distinct from the rest of the city. International Avenue, Bowness Road, Stephen Ave, Kensington Rd does that for the business in those areas.

Nah, I've lived in cities in Ontario where it's only street names instead of numbers, its so confusing figuring out where you are or where to go, especially if you're not familiar with the city. Lots of them are also named after some not great people, which is particularly poignant right now.

The best approach is probably to just add them as alternate names, similar to Stephen Ave / 8th Ave, and include both on the street signs.
I’ll second this

Back