Oliver | 121.3m | 35s | Centron | Gibbs Gage

It's bananas to me that 37th and 17th area is getting all these sidewalk upgrades and work and meanwhile streets and aves like 8th street and 10th ave, who see far more pedestrian traffic I'm sure, are left.
Go read Part 3, Division 1 of the Land Use Bylaw and look at at our “public realm” guidelines. They are old, old road widening setbacks probably from LUB 2P80 so policy created in the 1970s that exists forever in our current LUB. They require road widening setbacks that we will never use, that should be used to improve our public realm that the city decides to never actually use. You’re not allowed to build anything permanent on it in case the city wants to widen the road which they have no plans on doing. Here is a better example of what you’re allowed to do in this road widening setback : https://goo.gl/maps/DCMnpQWjgFeCexuF9
Or:
Or:
Or:
Or:
Or:

I would love to find an Urban Planner or Development Engineer who can give me an example of this part of the LUB actually contributing positively to the public realm and not creating front setbacks areas you can do nothing of permanence with to “eventually widen the street”.

Last edited:
0200A460-414C-460D-93E8-3616EA3BF764.jpeg
9362EC01-1527-48FE-8B3F-68D17AA4ADE1.jpeg
1DEDBA8F-B341-4D3F-A87D-47512377FE8B.jpeg
2BF8E05B-E98D-46E1-A06D-C2045285C12F.jpeg
D5BB96EC-333F-459A-9DF4-5D19B8A5A4D9.jpeg

Huge win! Love the podium and all the amenities in it. That is going to be a very busy and lively intersection once everything opens up. Now if they could replace that traffic light with the newer silver ones...
Yeah, massive win. Really nice podium, great interaction with the underpass, great amenities, added density AND a second tower that's UC. Compare that to the blighted hole it was for years before this, wow

Huge win! Love the podium and all the amenities in it. That is going to be a very busy and lively intersection once everything opens up. Now if they could replace that traffic light with the newer silver ones...
This project, as well as the other ones on 10th in the past few years has completely transformed the potential of that corridor. It's now a desirable spot to live, and set up commercial shops. I wouldn't be surprised if there's not at least several more projects that get built along that road in the next several years.

It's great to see good buildings go up that block out the CPR tracks from that side.

Back