Northland Village Redevelopment | 19m | 6s | DIALOG

Hmmm - I can’t wait for the Crowchild medium-term upgrade plans to be completed from 24th Ave to the river (10+ years I’m guessing). That will connect the two free-flowing segments of Crow. North & South.
I wouldn’t call the upgrade “silliness” - why does every major road have to be made pedestrian friendly ?

Hmmm - I can’t wait for the Crowchild medium-term upgrade plans to be completed from 24th Ave to the river (10+ years I’m guessing). That will connect the two free-flowing segments of Crow. North & South.
I wouldn’t call the upgrade “silliness” - why does every major road have to be made pedestrian friendly ?
They don't, highways are a tool used in city planning just like bike lanes. It's just that their usage just far exceeds their utility, particularly in cities planned after the introduction of automotive lobbyists ~70 years ago. Through no fault of their own, most people alive just don't know any different.

There's nothing wrong with investing in our roads and growing our highway networks. The lack of freeways and vehicle lanes is one of the big things that makes living in Vancouver hell. I think what all of us urbanism junkies really want is investments in public transit and other pedestrian-friendly infrastructure to be given the same priority by governments as what vehicle-oriented infrastructure projects get. As we saw the last few years, the province is perfectly fine with pumping more money into Deerfoot but reluctant to invest in the Green Line. Another example is the pathetic 17th ave renovations where the sidewalks have been left as narrow as the ones seen in many suburban communities. Stuff like that is what I'm against. Sure, there are a few roads in our core that could probably do without a lane or two and incorporate bigger sidewalks or bike lanes, but that's as far as I would go. We are not declaring war on vehicles, as some have accused, we're declaring a war on poor urban planning.

There's nothing wrong with investing in our roads and growing our highway networks. The lack of freeways and vehicle lanes is one of the big things that makes living in Vancouver hell. I think what all of us urbanism junkies really want is investments in public transit and other pedestrian-friendly infrastructure to be given the same priority by governments as what vehicle-oriented infrastructure projects get. As we saw the last few years, the province is perfectly fine with pumping more money into Deerfoot but reluctant to invest in the Green Line. Another example is the pathetic 17th ave renovations where the sidewalks have been left as narrow as the ones seen in many suburban communities. Stuff like that is what I'm against. Sure, there are a few roads in our core that could probably do without a lane or two and incorporate bigger sidewalks or bike lanes, but that's as far as I would go. We are not declaring war on vehicles, as some have accused, we're declaring a war on poor urban planning.
As a person on this site that would be fully comfortable declaring themselves a war on cars type here, I really think this city's road infrastructure is aggressively wide, takes up far too much land and compromises our ability to make pedestrian and cycling connections between communities that have these vast areas of land dedicated to high speed vehicular traffic. Because most of our roadways are far too wide it makes any other types of connections dangerous and unreasonable decisions, only reinforcing that "you need a car to get around Calgary". Having lived at 24th and Crowchild and having to use that intersection to cross to the U of C, it is a terrible/dangerous connection for pedestrians and cyclists as it with the large expanse and multiple slip lanes to cross (not to mention how bad this is for seniors to try to cross).They would then be more than doubling the distance you have to travel across to improve only the flow of vehicles. Additionally the TOD development @Macmahon will be disconnected even further from the LRT Station by aggressively widening the roadway into something more similar to Stoney Trail. Go walk across Stoney Trail at any overpass location, even once and tell me that is something you want to see right beside the university. I can't think of a Canadian city that could use a road diet more than Calgary, particularly on the hundreds of dangerous stroads we have all over Calgary. The upgrade to Crowchild is a waste of resources and compromises goals set out in the MDP and CTP and only increases residents automobile dependence, focussing only on making faster car trips for those in the far-flung suburbs at the direct expense of walkability of established and inner-city neighbourhoods. Not to mention how fiscally irresponsible this kind of capital spending is on larger and larger roadway standards that we have to pay to maintain in perpetuity. So yes, in my opinion, the Crowchild expansion is complete "silliness" and if many people in this city ever got out of their car and walked anywhere they'd understand why cleaving off a pedestrian access for students living on the eastside of Crowchild from the U of C is a really bad call (not to mention an urban development paradigm that is a relic of the past).

Last edited:
As I kicked the hornet's nest with the "silliness" comment - inferring that doubling a highway right-of-way next to a major activity centre + university + rapid transit system is perhaps is a bad thing - let me try to stitch this back together into TOD and Northland and what it all means.

I am convinced we can't have both. We can't get a good Northland TOD (or in most other locations) if we continue to expand our car-orientation in all things. I went overboard on this response, so I made section breaks for folks to argue with me more effectively.

Why We Can't Have Good TOD & Freeways
Obvious Reasons - Land & Other Modes of Travel

We literally don't have room for buildings if we eat up all our transit-adjacent land with highways and ramps. On top of that wider and louder highways make the land adjacent to them worse places to be - sound, traffic, and general ugliness. Further, what highway expansion does in this scenario is making a trade-off of land - we are temporarily improving the longer, car trips at the expense of the shorter, transit ones. We are trading developable land close to transit and services for developable land further out and car-dependent. All this impacts the development market - drive to you qualify in full effect.

Beyond the hundreds of millions it will cost to build the Crowchild expansion the land trade-off on the Mcmahon site is real - it's 10 acres (11% of the total site area, and notably the 11% closest to rapid transit). There's the potential to reclaim 4 acres from reducing the loops on University Drive .... but that's likely going to be impacted by a stormwater facility (in the report), and it's the farthest away from transit anyways. The language is worth remembering "we will reserve this land for Crowchild" vs. "there's some potential we might get more developable land". More on this in my next section.

1638551937258.png
1638555461076.png

Beyond the space trade off, every walking, cycling or transit trip is made longer, more dangerous and more unpleasant by projects like this. Every trip is less competitive than it would be because we over-design everything to accommodate cars. This undermines the whole idea of TOD in the first place - locating people in places where it's easier to get around without a car!

Less Obvious Stuff - Car Culture
Over the long run, this car-orientation of everything does is limit our ability to look at urban problems - it's car culture. @gsunnyg and @Calgcouver summarized it well.

It's not a war on cars - the cars won decades ago in a landslide victory - its that car culture makes it impossibly harder to achieve any other form of development. Even if they want to, every decision by a developer or planner about what Northland or another potential TOD area on Crowchild could or should be has to fight against an entrenched car-oriented trend and context, limiting choices and raising costs on all other styles of development. Over time these barriers have even been codified within the rules themselves in the form of parking regulations, setbacks and access requirements - all cementing that cars need everything, everywhere and no cost is too high. The Crowchild expansion plan is perfect example of car-culture at work.

Crowchild vs. TOD
Even I agree we should do a grade-separation at 24th Avenue and create a free-flow Crowchild. But that's not everything that's proposed.

What's proposed is to expand the width of all right-of-ways, add turning access everywhere (many with dangerous slip lanes), maintain all the redundant accesses everywhere (via Crowchild, University Drive, 16th Ave etc.). Connectivity is good but the trade-off is enormous - entrenching car-dominance for another generation while taking acres of land from more productive purposes, while undermining all other modes of travel with longer, more dangerous routes. The plan can't imagine a world where everyone can't drive everywhere all the time, with as many free-flow and multiple redundant routes. No cost is too high.

Here's a particular example - this one look familiar?
1638556521968.png

1638556577728.png

Car culture is so powerful, we think that Glenmore & MacLeod is a such a good design for an intersection that we should build another one. Both 16th/Crowchild and MacLeod/Glenmore are within 500m of an LRT station. All this effort, money and land to create a redundant turning access with University Drive - which will be maintained. Also 16th to 24th Ave will be maintained via the frontage lanes. Also access for all the cut-through traffic in motel village will be maintained. To create redundant connectivity for cars, land and the safety/efficiency of all other modes are the sacrificed. Come live at the new TOD - now with 3 extra lanes on every road nearby!

Conclusion - What does this mean for Northland TOD and Other Hopefuls
To be a good TOD development, Northland would have to fight against all this culture of car-orientation. It would also have to see enormous investment in every other mode to get only marginally competitive transit, walking or cycling infrastructure today - falling behind again in a future where Crowchild continues to expand. Every expansion pushing the Crowchild bottleneck somewhere else, generating a new car-oriented project and more sacrifices of land and the viability of other modes.

It won't end unless we actually choose TOD over freeways from the start. Does this mean we bulldoze all our freeways? Nope - it just means we can't keep giving our arterials endless expansions, wasteful redundancies and not consider the impacts and trade-offs honestly. The freeways that we do need should be planned for the fact they are terrible for local development, they should be planned to be buried/capped/trenched one day. Yes - this is ridiculously expensive. Yes - this should come from the roads budget. Cars caused the mess, cars should pay for it.

Until we more honestly cost the trade-offs we can't have freeways and good TODs in the same area. Without that pivot in our culture, I won't be surprised every time a developer folds to the overwhelming car-orientation they are working within and proposes something like the Northland redevelopment we are getting.

Last edited:
I put this together a while ago, but here's what's accessible within a 200m and 400m walk of the Sunnyside and Dalhousie LRT stations (same scale):

LRT Walksheds - Sunnyside.png
LRT Walksheds - Dalhousie.png

You could plausibly live your life within the 200m walkshed of Sunnyside; not only are there plenty of apartments to do so, but there's groceries, coffee shops, bars, a dozen restaurants, fitness, a hair salon, liquor store, cannabis, ContainR park, even comics. The 200m walkshed of Dalhousie is entirely Calgary Transit property; even the 400m walkshed is mostly parking; there's some apartments now and more on the way, but the commerce is a gas station, a bookstore and a DQ. And Dalhousie is on the better end of TOD; it's just that the highway eats up so much land.

Attachments

• LRT Walksheds - Sunnyside.png
    LRT Walksheds - Sunnyside.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 111
The Safeway lot should be redeveloped into a higher-density use. Preferably retail frontage facing the train station side as well and residential spaces on top. Sunnyside has lots of redevelopment going on in the area but the lack of redevelopment around the station still prevents it from reaching its full potential as a well-integrated TOD.

The Safeway lot should be redeveloped into a higher-density use. Preferably retail frontage facing the train station side as well and residential spaces on top. Sunnyside has lots of redevelopment going on in the area but the lack of redevelopment around the station still prevents it from reaching its full potential as a well-integrated TOD.
There's a few changes I'd make to the area:

I actually really like the footprint of the Safeway lot, I'd maintain the size and put parking underground and residential on top during redevelopment.

Next, completely remove vehicle traffic from 3 Ave east of 10th St - there's literally no point. Make that entire space to the south of Safeway a greenspace/plaza to connect Sunnyside station and 10th. That also enables redevelopment on the corner of 3 Ave and 9a St for something similar to Jemm/Pixel, but with retail fronting the plaza.

I'd also make some major changes to 10th. Namely, parking on one side and only in winter which enables big patios, much wider sidewalks, 2 lanes of traffic, and extend the bikes lanes that stop at 5th to the river, protected of course. No turning left onto 3rd Ave west of 10th, and no gas station, there's one 300m away on 14th and Kensington.

There already is underground parking:
1638998559651.png

It was put in in ~1998

1638998832110.png

Safeway originally wanted a worse layout - back to the LRT station, parking lot next to 10th, as it would have allowed the existing store to stay operating during construction. The community association wanted the parking in the back, with the Safeway fronting 10th and the south side road, but Safeway said no.

Last edited:
I love that underground parking. It’s always completely empty and I get the best spot. Meanwhile everyone else fights the chaos of the small parking lot.

Now keep it that way.
It's the same for the Home Depot on 16th. Parking lot is often crammed, but the u/g parking is always spacious and in the summer offers nice shade.

I love that underground parking. It’s always completely empty and I get the best spot. Meanwhile everyone else fights the chaos of the small parking lot.

Now keep it that way.
I remember last winter, when it was one of our deep, deep, deep freeze weeks, I went from my condo's underground parkade to the underground parking in Safeway, got the few items I needed, and returned home, all without needing to put on a coat. It was great!

Back