Votes: 4 5.5%
  • So so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Very Good

• Terrible

• Total voters
One of the times Calgary really got it right. I don't think anyone here thought the library would take a dive after the novelty wore off, but yeah I saw more than a few people on social media who thought that. You don't hear anything from them now.

I stopped by the library this weekend, the first time since February and I am still extremely impressed.

For those who thought the library's vibrancy was going to take a dive after a couple of months when the novelty wore off, they couldn't be more wrong. The place is still buzzing. It's a complete success and arguably Calgary's best public space.

I was going to post about this a couple weeks ago but forgot. I went there to study in the reading room. Literally every section of the library, even the children's playground area, was busy. It was great to see.

Here is a couple shots I snapped...

fullsizeoutput_3adb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3adc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3ad9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3add.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3ade.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3adf.jpeg

20191228_095302.jpg

I brought my 3 year old to the library this weekend and everytime we go I am reminded of how lucky we are. This is way more then a library, it is a symbol of Calgary and showcases the city I love to call home on a global scale. The NY Times 2019 Top 52 places traveler wrote a good article about his time recently spent in Calgary and he highlights our wonderful library in an international setting yet again. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/31/travel/52-places-to-go-tahiti-calgary.html

Happy New Year fellow Forumers! ?

Only thing I wish was different was for that bison sculpture in your photo to be about 4 times the size. It could have been an amazing focal point in the atrium and a way to naturally draw people further into the library as it would capture attention from the main entrance doors. Instead most people don't even notice it's there.

Study space on the 4th floor is a joke. They focused too much on architectural design instead of usefulness. Lack of actual walls makes it so the noisy people aren't aware people are studying while being able to hear them loud and clear. Seems more of a space to babysit your kids rather than quiet library.

Study space on the 4th floor is a joke. They focused too much on architectural design instead of usefulness. Lack of actual walls makes it so the noisy people aren't aware people are studying while being able to hear them loud and clear. Seems more of a space to babysit your kids rather than quiet library.
I thought you could book rooms there pretty easily for studying or whatnot?

Back