Votes: 4 5.5%
  • So so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Very Good

• Terrible

• Total voters
While the steps aren't ideal, I don't think it would be what would prevent it from occuring. Simply opening the doors, putting the retail bay back in (anyone else remember the convenience store that was located where there is now just a seating area?), maybe convert some of the other areas to retail (not sure why they got rid of the cafeteria for MORE meeting rooms), and it suddenly becomes a public space that can link through to East Village.

This gives a bit of an idea, 12 years before being blocked

pa-2807-4395.jpg

Great photo! I'm always shocked at how many historic buildings have been demolished in downtown Calgary.

Notice the 7 tree planters in 1892 and then in 1903, all gone. Interesting to see Calgary has always struggled with keeping downtown trees alive.
I had heard that they planted palm trees along side the old city hall when it was first built. Is that a true story? Seems bizarre, but a couple of people have told me that.

I had heard that they planted palm trees along side the old city hall when it was first built. Is that a true story? Seems bizarre, but a couple of people have told me that.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/homes/...lgary+treescape+come+long/10175240/story.html

"In 1913, William Reader, the city’s parks and cemetery superintendent, unsuccessfully (surprise, surprise) experimented with growing palm trees in pots in the summer in Central Memorial Park as well as around city hall. "

Visited the new library on the weekend. It is thoughtful and vibrant building, and humming with people at the time. One thing that I observed is that 80-90% of people were using computers/tablets ... either the library's or their own.

I noticed very few people reading books or even looking for books.

Visited the new library on the weekend. It is thoughtful and vibrant building, and humming with people at the time. One thing that I observed is that 80-90% of people were using computers/tablets ... either the library's or their own.

I noticed very few people reading books or even looking for books.
I suspect that’s the wave iof the future for libraries in general. The same type of people who used to go hang around there for books still go there but use the tablets etc.

I used to buy a lot of books, now though with my kobo I have several hundred books at my finger tips at all times with something just a bit bigger than my cel phone. Freed up a lot of storage. I will still buy certain books in hardcover form when it’s something kind of limited edition. Used the Airdrie library for the first time in years and years about 2 years ago to do some studying, haven’t taken a book out in decades though lol.

Back