Votes: 4 5.5%
  • So so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Very Good

• Terrible

• Total voters
Not exactly sure what was going on here yesterday and unfortunately I didn't have time to investigate:

38776857715_0cfe182ce3_b.jpg

Where is the nearest Tim's? Is there one in BVC? There isn't one in the EV as it stands.

Not that I'm against the library passing on a Tim's or a Starbucks. But I wonder who else bid and how much are more are they going to pay for this bespoke solution? And if we're talking about saturation, there's a Phil & Sebastian's and a Rosso in the EV and a Good Earth in City hall. It isn't like something terribly novel is coming in. It's just fancier than a typical chain. Is that really worth paying extra for?

Where is the nearest Tim's? Is there one in BVC? There isn't one in the EV as it stands.

Not that I'm against the library passing on a Tim's or a Starbucks. But I wonder who else bid and how much are more are they going to pay for this bespoke solution? And if we're talking about saturation, there's a Phil & Sebastian's and a Rosso in the EV and a Good Earth in City hall. It isn't like something terribly novel is coming in. It's just fancier than a typical chain. Is that really worth paying extra for?

In the N3 building - new one just opened a couple months ago.

Ah fair enough. I can hardly see anyone being interested opening another franchise that close-by then anyway. I wonder if anyone even proposed one?

I hope Luke’s does well in the library. The library will get a fair amount of out-of-town visitors, and it’d be nice to see a local chain represent.

Yep, it was the right move. Would love to see more civic projects and local independent business partnerships....like C-train stations with coffee shops, food to go. Works well in Vancouver!

There is one in BVC, literally kitty corner to where the library will be, one in N3 less than a block away, and one on the west end of City Hall Station. It's already very saturated. I would have ripped my hair out if they wasted this space on a Tims.

As Urban Warrior mentioned, IF a Tim's were to go into the Library, you could average 1 Tim's / 100m if you started walking east from Macleod and 7th Ave, and turned south at 4th Street SE to end at N3. 3 is probably more than enough.

The Library deserves better than a chain flamboyantly advertising their latest special. (N3) It is a higher end building afterall. I don't give Luke's coffee a high chance of success. Hopefully, they prove me wrong.

Yep, it was the right move. Would love to see more civic projects and local independent business partnerships....like C-train stations with coffee shops, food to go. Works well in Vancouver!

As much as our gut sense tells us LRT station retail is a good idea, experience is that it requires subsidy to work - especially where the city is providing no bathrooms, which is all of them. Even in Toronto it is a surprisingly tiny revenue centre.

Back