News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Brad Field is a serious candidate (at the very least his campaign is spending a serious amount of money!). I'm 50/50 on whether Davison jumps in for Mayor - if he does he might cause a situation where the arena isn't unfrozen until December, and that makes the arena deal a live political issue again. Then there is one more who is poised to make a splash who we will know about in early May.

I've only heard of Gondek and Farkas, but will research the other candidates if I have time. I agree this will be a race between two candidates, unless another high profile candidate runs. So far I'm leaning toward Gondek.

Gondek is who I'll be voting for.
In 2010 around this time your choice would have been:
Jon Lord (former Alderman and MLA)
Paul Hughes (Urban Chickens)
Ric McIver (alderman)
Six-time alderman and two-term NDP MLA Bob Hawkesworth
Joe Conelley (one term aldernman)

Nenshi was still somewhat openly musing about whether to run for Mayor or Alderman (it was a different time).

Gondek is who I'd vote for today, but it's also likely who I'll vote for come October. When Nenshi first ran in 2010, I knew who he was and had heard rumors of him running for a while before he announced his running.

In case anyone is wondering why I'd vote for Gondek, it's because I think she'd be a good face of the city. Locally the mayor is one vote on council, but externally the mayor represents the city, and she comes across well spoken and level headed + I'm a liberal minded guy, so it's kind of a no brainer between her and Lord Farkwad.

The audience over at SkyscraperPage were huge advocates of Nenshi right at the beginning of his 2010 campaign. I supported him because of all the love he got over on the forum, but always thought he was a long shot. It was amazing to see how he was able to win over so much support in the last week of the election.

Brad Field is a serious candidate (at the very least his campaign is spending a serious amount of money!). I'm 50/50 on whether Davison jumps in for Mayor - if he does he might cause a situation where the arena isn't unfrozen until December, and that makes the arena deal a live political issue again. Then there is one more who is poised to make a splash who we will know about in early May.
Is Brad Field basically Bill Smith 2.0? That is, another unknown, generic business guy dropped into the race by the old boys club?

While there’s time for another higher profile candidate to make an appearance (Davison?) I’m feeling this is ultimately a battle between Farkas vs Gondek. Another right wing or left wing candidate could cause some vote splitting, but outside of that, this is shaping up to be a battle of right vs left.
The mayor is only one vote on Council, but I’m feeling this election could shape the direction of Calgary at least for the near term.
A Farkas win could signal conservative momentum and influence other councillors and the city’s general mood. embolden the conservative minded and set the city back 30 years.
That’s why I’m voting for Gondek.

While there’s time for another higher profile candidate to make an appearance (Davison?) I’m feeling this is ultimately a battle between Farkas vs Gondek. Another right wing or left wing candidate could cause some vote splitting, but outside of that, this is shaping up to be a battle of right vs left.
The mayor is only one vote on Council, but I’m feeling this election could shape the direction of Calgary at least for the near term.
A Farkas win could signal conservative momentum and influence other councillors and the city’s general mood. embolden the conservative minded and set the city back 30 years.
Same for me. I generally like Gondek, but even if I didn't like her that much I would still pick her as the better face for the city.

Yep.

Tomorrow:
1620057654222.png

Back