Marda 33 | 12m | 2s | MoDA

lousy picture but here goes

IMG_6600.jpeg

The existing building is being demolished today. Was about 80% gone when I walked by at lunch.
That’s weird. When I spoke to someone at their booth during Marda Gras, they said they were going to reuse a significant portion of the existing building. I told them I was surprised by this based on the renderings.

Wouldn't the issue with the driveway be that the existing driveway is on the property of the adjacent building; I'm assuming the adjacent building's owners wouldn't love people and garbage trucks accessing Central's property using their driveway which they pay to maintain.
This exactly. We looked at many different ways to eliminate the 33rd Ave access, but there are a number of issues at play here. First, the city does not support collection vehicles backing into or out of a site, especially on a main street. Second, there was no way to create enough space on-site for a vehicle to turn around and front out again. Third, is that the east-west "lane" is actually private property, making any potential modifications to it (e.g., introducing a hammerhead) virtually impossible. So after a lot of back and forth, we felt that maintaining the existing curb cut on 33rd and creating access from the private "lane" keeps pedestrian disruption at a minimum. Even then, the mutual access agreement to use the lane was a big hurdle. So in the end, it's not perfect, but it's workable. Strange and challenging little site with its grade change and no-lane.

Back