Marda | 21.03m | 6s | Strategic Group | NORR

The reason I thought aluminum was because the wrapping said "AL13". From what I could tell from the website (http://al13.ca/), they make aluminum panels.

Whatever it is, it depresses me to think that aluminum would be considered a triumph when in other cities people would think it barely appropriate for a backyard shed.

not to pile on but was driving down Cambie st in Van last week and the development there is just light years beyond whats going on here... the form, quality, quantity made me a little sad inside. even good projects here barely stack up against what is basically commoditized there.

The reason I thought aluminum was because the wrapping said "AL13". From what I could tell from the website (http://al13.ca/), they make aluminum panels.

Whatever it is, it depresses me to think that aluminum would be considered a triumph when in other cities people would think it barely appropriate for a backyard shed.
It could be aluminum. I'm fairly ambivalent about the material so long as it doesn't fall apart. The white glass spandrel on EV Hilton is what I'd like to see personally, but I know it's much more expensive.

The one saving grace is that this building is wonderful urban form, and urban form trumps great architecture every time. I'd much rather have dense, walkable neighborhoods full of mediocre-to-ugly buildings, than sprawling, sterile neighborhoods full of impressive architecture. (Both would be nice)
I could not agree more with this statement. I would take hundreds more of these over the sterile, shiny and empty architecture example. The variation in design that many want will come, but the absolute volume of our urban mid-rise supply is starting from near zero compared to our walkable competitor cities. We are new at this, so let's get the basics of form right always.

84CDACE1-1777-4528-B86F-ADEBD790FC6E.jpeg

This one is turning out really good!

I like this one. Exterior materials may not be the most expensive, but it's a good development. Calgary could use a couple dozen more of these.

I like this one. Exterior materials may not be the most expensive, but it's a good development. Calgary could use a couple dozen more of these.
Build 100 of these. It's a good scale and good design of mixed use for building up the urban fabric. 45 of these would be roughly the same amount of units as those three towers at the Elbow River, but I would choose 45 of these any day.

Huh, that's an effective way to save a buck. Overall, I like this one... may a lot even once all is said and done.

Back