M2 Block | ?m | 4s | XYC | Riddell Kurczaba

They really need to do a better job activating that space in front of M2. It's like night and day when you compare to Simmons Block next door.
187796924_10165421074025486_1958960458759317243_n.jpg

from www.facebook.com/TomAJenson/

The fact that they put offices in there still blows my mind.

As someone with a bit of inside knowledge on the project, hopefully I can clear a few things up.

Everyone involved wants a restaurant in the ground floor space, but the continuing pandemic has the restaurant industry understandably hesitant to build out and open a new space right now. There is still a restaurant tenant lined up, but they needed more time. That's why there is currently a TEMPORARY change of use to office space, which has a self-imposed expiration date when the use will be restricted to restaurant again.

As far as the plaza in front of the building, the City controls everything beyond the M2 property line, which sits about 10cm away from the building itself. The tenants can request a separate lease with the City to gain use of parts of the plaza, which is how Bow Cycle now has an outdoor space. The restaurant plans to do the same when they move in, creating a dining area along the outside of the building.

It's disappointing the restaurant is delayed, but hopefully the wait won't be too long before things stabilize and the plan is back on track.

m2 property.png

They really need to do a better job activating that space in front of M2. It's like night and day when you compare to Simmons Block next door.
View attachment 342780
from www.facebook.com/TomAJenson/
Why is there no planting or trees in the plaza space similar to the Simmons Building? Planting standards should continue through these lands so that mature trees can provide shade when they mature. The building is so bland and there is no planting or warmth to any of the materials, this is the definition of a highly sterilized building and public realm.

Why is there no planting or trees in the plaza space similar to the Simmons Building? Planting standards should continue through these lands so that mature trees can provide shade when they mature. The building is so bland and there is no planting or warmth to any of the materials, this is the definition of a highly sterilized building and public realm.
It looks like we need to pound on the city to do more with the plaza.

It looks like we need to pound on the city to do more with the plaza.
I mean we could, but this is the kind of thing that the File Planner should've been pushing for the builder to do in the DTRs and something UDRP should've been harping on to get right the first time so we don't have to go in and change/improve it later. The plaza is so bland and underwhelming I can't believe it is final condition.

I mean we could, but this is the kind of thing that the File Planner should've been pushing for the builder to do in the DTRs and something UDRP should've been harping on to get right the first time so we don't have to go in and change/improve it later. The plaza is so bland and underwhelming I can't believe it is final condition.
It's also possible the city has had their own plans for it. I think an e-mail to the Councillor for that ward (Farrell) might shed some light.

Wasn't the thought that this section of the plaza would be for seasonal events and concerts etc.? I thought that was the idea of keeping it sparse so you could fit a sizable crowd or set of tents on occasion.

Could be. I just think it looks cheap, sparse and sterile as-is, just my opinion.
I agree. Something to soften the boring and metallic look. If it's an eventual patio, something with wood and a load of planters would be ideal. We have a strange affinity for metal and ugly patios in this city.

Back