Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • 4 Not Good

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Can you guys explain what you are looking at and what's the main issues? Just curious as to what (1) you think the designer/builder was thinking and (2) why this was a bad idea/bad execution
The designer put a fake sandstone on their fake heritage building, so there's that. The problem with cultured stone is it's attached the same way tile is, in a mortar bed. The mortar mix must be bang on and there must be a complete seal around the stone, or water gets behind it and repetitive freeze / thaw cycles cause the stones to fall off. Some contractors can do a good job and it will last 20 years, but some new buildings have major problems pretty much from day one.

Freeze/thaw is the same reason tile on an exterior, like they've used at the base here, is also a bad idea. Especially near grade where there's snow build up and rainfall splashback. Here they're adhering it to rigid that's then adhered to the building, which has already fallen off before it's even completed. This is a good example of the day one built-in grit I was implying in a previous thread.

The bottom tile looks to be a concrete faced insulation board, the concrete is factory attached and the insulation is glued to the building. That's usually a pretty good product, can stand up to shoveling snow against it repeatedly, however poor installation is always a recipe for failure.

That cultured stone just looks cheap, you can tell it's fake just walking by. I don't understand why you wouldn't spec brick as the cost is essentially the same and it looks far better.

The bottom tile looks to be a concrete faced insulation board, the concrete is factory attached and the insulation is glued to the building. That's usually a pretty good product, can stand up to shoveling snow against it repeatedly, however poor installation is always a recipe for failure.
Expect to see more of this given the new energy code.

I've yet to see evidence of this standing the test of time. The surface face itself, yes can take the elements. The rest of the method is on a faster maintenance/replacement clock than more traditional materials and methods. But upfront time & money...

Not really sure of the longevity, but I always suggest this product in an area where they want to use parging, and the lifespan is infinitely longer than that crap lol.

I've yet to see evidence of this standing the test of time. The surface face itself, yes can take the elements. The rest of the method is on a faster maintenance/replacement clock than more traditional materials and methods. But upfront time & money...

I've seen granite used along the bottom 18" of numerous newer building around the downtown core. Is this the preferred method? Also probably not in Torode's budget.

I've seen granite used along the bottom 18" of numerous newer building around the downtown core. Is this the preferred method? Also probably not in Torode's budget.

Or even whole towers like Devon (Canterra) clad in granite.

Most often the weight supported by a foundation ledger and not stuck on by a couple dollops of adhesive via a degradable foam to an instable back structure.

Or even whole towers like Devon (Canterra) clad in granite.

Most often the weight supported by a foundation ledger and not stuck on by a couple dollops of adhesive via a degradable foam to an instable back structure.
Suncor tower too. It might even be marble, but I recall it was specially imported from Italy, all from one site.

Mostly completed Irvine Inglewood
20200901_162026.jpg
Condos
20200901_164422(0).jpg

Back