News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary International Airport

Some recent YYC stats. Not much of a surprise that Q1 2023 was much better than Q1 2022, showing a whopping 65% increase.. April 2023 significantly better than than April of 2022, showing a 30% increase. If we can get in the neighborhood of a 30% increase for the whole year, we'll be threatening to break previous records.

View attachment 479151

April 2023 definitely a good result, 98% of April 2019.

2019 pax ('000)​
2023 pax ('000)​
'23 compared to '19 (percent)
January1,3881,226
88%​
February1,3411,190
89%​
March1,4841,392
94%​
April1,4141,386
98%​

Wow 16.3 million in the last 12 months is pretty good. What is our previous record? We might be looking at 18 million this year then.

Forgot to post this yesterday. A breakdown of the traffic by category.

1684890509446.png

Wow 16.3 million in the last 12 months is pretty good. What is our previous record? We might be looking at 18 million this year then.
The record so far is 17,957,780 from 2019.
With the 66% increase in the first quarter of this year, YYC would need somewhere around a 20% increase each month of this year over each month of last year to break the record. A 20% the rest of the year would put it at ~18.4M
With April already 30% above last year's April, it's looking good so far. Of course lots of time left in the year, and the months later in this year will see more modest increases, but here's hoping.

Thanks for posting that, it reminded me to update my charts showing YYC boardings vs a simple projection from the four pre-COVID years (linear projection plus monthly seasonal factor): - previously from October
1684905965545.png
1684905973228.png

1684905980362.png
1684905987795.png

Sort of looks like a bit of a stall out relative to the old trend. Note that the trend was for an increase in passengers, so while we're now above 2019/early 2020 volumes for international passengers, we're still around 85% of where we would have been based on the growth trend from 2016-2019. The 192K we had in March was our second highest international month ever (behind 194K in March 2019), but based on that old trend, we'd be 5 months a year over 200K by now with 233K in March.

If we assume that the next eight months remain relatively similar towards the trend, we'd be at around 11.8M domestic (94% of the 12.5M in 2019), 3.0M transborder (86% of the. 3.5M in 2019) and 1.9M international (98% of the 1.9M in 2019); that would be a total of 16.75M boardings for 2023 (93% of the 17.96M in 2019).

I'm wondering if some of this lingering gap is remote work technologies reducing the need for business travel; about 30% of the travel to Calgary in the before was for business purposes (about 5% was business purposes without an overnight stay).

I'm wondering if some of this lingering gap is remote work technologies reducing the need for business travel; about 30% of the travel to Calgary in the before was for business purposes (about 5% was business purposes without an overnight stay).
I don't have any stats unfortunately, but I'm almost 100% certain that's the case. Anecdotally, I know 3 different people who used to travel a lot for work, and all three travel less now in post covid times. One of those people used to do twice-monthly trips to Toronto, and he no longer does any.

Some big big news, especially for Frenchmen like myself :p, Westjet will fly year-round to Paris Charles de Gaulle from Calgary. Previously, the flights were seasonal only, causing a huge price spike in July and August and forcing to fly to Amsterdam or London during the off-season.

This is obviously fantastic news for tourism. As snow becomes more scarce in Europe, there will probably be ski fanatics fancying trips to Alberta in the Winter.

This news came months after Westjet decided to cancel several of their long-haul flights between Canada and Europe (departing from Halifax, Toronto, Vancouver). This confirms Westjet is moving a lot of their operations to the West and Calgary particularly.

Some big big news, especially for Frenchmen like myself :p, Westjet will fly year-round to Paris Charles de Gaulle from Calgary. Previously, the flights were seasonal only, causing a huge price spike in July and August and forcing to fly to Amsterdam or London during the off-season.

This is obviously fantastic news for tourism. As snow becomes more scarce in Europe, there will probably be ski fanatics fancying trips to Alberta in the Winter.

This news came months after Westjet decided to cancel several of their long-haul flights between Canada and Europe (departing from Halifax, Toronto, Vancouver). This confirms Westjet is moving a lot of their operations to the West and Calgary particularly.

They’ve move 100% of their European/Asian flights to YYC.

Does anyone know what is happening in the Domestic terminal, departures level? Its so barren, seems like they have removed a bunch of check in counters. I have flown in/out a few times the last couple of weeks and its like a ghost town. Are they preparing for renovations or something else?

Does anyone know what is happening in the Domestic terminal, departures level? Its so barren, seems like they have removed a bunch of check in counters. I have flown in/out a few times the last couple of weeks and its like a ghost town. Are they preparing for renovations or something else?
reshuffling to support the move to a single domestic security checkpoint

I've noticed the domestic terminal is quite dead at times also, I think from a combination of things. The International terminal has taken away a lot of the traffic, and if I'm not mistaken domestic travel still is below pre-covid levels. With much of the passenger growth happening at the International terminal It'll be interesting to see how things play out for the domestic terminal.

I’m confused about what you referring too. The checkin area of the domestic or the actual past security domestic area. Past security is 3 different gates (plus international at times) and they all seem to be busy. Checkin area doesn’t really matter now unless your having to talk to an agent or drop luggage. Most folks check in online and go right to security

reshuffling to support the move to a single domestic security checkpoint
That’s interesting. So I assume the single security checkpoint will be quite a bit larger? Is it going to be on the air Canada side or WJ
I’m confused about what you referring too. The checkin area of the domestic or the actual past security domestic area. Past security is 3 different gates (plus international at times) and they all seem to be busy. Checkin area doesn’t really matter now unless your having to talk to an agent or drop luggage. Most folks check in online and go right to security
I’m referring to the check in area, the terminal when you walk in from outside. There is an entire section that is just empty, white walls basically with nothing. I would think they’d make it more inviting or do something else rather than give it an abandoned look. Actually maybe this is all part of the domestic renovations announced a couple of years ago? https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...nding-domestic-terminal-renovations-1.4704482

Last edited:

Back