News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

I believe that is just simply city to city, so there will always be connecting traffic on both ends hopefully too.

Another solid month in February

Nice to see trans-border bouncing back year/year. I'm guessing it's because of new routes being added, BNA, and ATL? and increases to some of the hubs?

318 of 320 seats filled on WestJet's first Calgary to Paris flight last night.
Doesn't sound that great for an inaugural flight. Flights to London are often full, I would have thought the route to CDG would be busy right off the bat. I mean if they got 318 out of 320 every flight, they'd be happy, but I expected it would be sold out the first little bit.

Doesn't sound that great for an inaugural flight. Flights to London are often full, I would have thought the route to CDG would be busy right off the bat. I mean if they got 318 out of 320 every flight, they'd be happy, but I expected it would be sold out the first little bit.
Think 99.6% load factor is above expectations . Without any return passengers to Europe to pull from its pretty good. Doubt BA’s first flight of the season either way was full this year or AC’s first flight from to Tokyo either. I doubt WS will cancel the flight because it didn’t have two seats filled ?

Think 99.6% load factor is above expectations . Without any return passengers to Europe to pull from its pretty good. Doubt BA’s first flight of the season either way was full this year or AC’s first flight from to Tokyo either. I doubt WS will cancel the flight because it didn’t have two seats filled ?
Agreed, I just thought with all the ads and promoting, it would have been full, but yeah, that's still a good number. Hopefully the numbers stay strong. Does anyone know what the load factor is typically for London, Frankfurt or Amsterdam?

All 3 of those typical in the 90% range. All I'll say is that zero conclusion can be drawn from one flight, especially an inaugural. Advertising or marketing pushes, whatever the case may be, has not ever correlated to some high level of performance for inaugurals based on my experience here.

Also, it's worth mentioning WestJet has more seats than everybody else. BA's very heavily premium configuration is waaay down at 216 seats, for example. AC's 787 is at 298, KLM to AMS is 292 seats.

Agreed, I just thought with all the ads and promoting, it would have been full, but yeah, that's still a good number. Hopefully the numbers stay strong. Does anyone know what the load factor is typically for London, Frankfurt or Amsterdam?
Another factor why it wasn’t full could be no shows. With the bad weather everywhere yesterday connecting passengers might have missed there initial flight to YYC. I’ve done a lot of stand by flights and more times than not a full flight gets the standbys on and have a seat or two left. Maybe a reason why two seats weren’t sold

I'm not sure what kind of marketing Westjet has done on the French side, but over the long term the flights to and from CDG should have more French/European travelers than Canadian travelers, which I believe is the case with all of the European flights. We'll have a better idea mid summer how things are looking.

WestJet would presumably prefer to ramp up onward connections at CDG, which correlates with the increased Air France codeshares announced shortly before this inaugural. We have a pretty good idea of how things are looking right now, and it's good. Dublin slightly less certain.

WestJet would presumably prefer to ramp up onward connections at CDG, which correlates with the increased Air France codeshares announced shortly before this inaugural. We have a pretty good idea of how things are looking right now, and it's good. Dublin slightly less certain.
With an extra frame kicking around YYC this summer and more next year could we see CDG being increased to 4-7 weekly moving into next year. Would this cannibalize other YYC-Europe flights?

Back